Super-Slim 5.5-Inch iPhone on Release Date Confirmed as Apple Taps New Manufacturer of Ultra-Thin Battery – Reports
By Erik Pineda | July 16, 2014 12:07 PM EST
The iPhone 6 on its release date, specifically the phablet-size 5.5-inch model, is virtually confirmed to sport a super-slim form factor as Apple reportedly awarded the manufacturing contract of an ultra-thin battery to a Taiwanese firm.
Dani Yako via Concept-Phones
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Dani Yako
The same battery kit, according to G4Games, is intended for exclusive use on the jumbo-size iPhone 6, which in the process will allow Apple engineers to implement the original blueprint of building the thinnest and lightest iPhone ever.
G4Games cited The Economic Daily News, a publication based in Taiwan, as source of its information.
The same report indicated that Apple is switching to a single contractor in order to ensure the speedy completion of its bulk battery orders. Earlier, G4Games has reported that long-time Apple battery supplier Dynapack was not able to meet the strict manufacturing requirements laid down by Apple for the next iPhone battery.
It appears now that the iPhone maker has decided to ditch Dynapack in favour of Simplo. All manufacturers are operating from Taiwan.
"Simplo has supposedly already provided a flexible thin unit that meets Apple's demands," said the report from the tech blog site.
The new development is aligned with numerous reports and projections from analysts that the iPhone 6 will reflect a major overhaul in the design language used in assembling the device. Apart from upsizing the front panel, it will showcase rounded corners and, as suggested by the ultra-thin battery, and a slimmed down build compared to the previous models.
Interestingly, how the larger iPhone 6 would look like is hinted by a new render that BGR described as the closest possible depiction of the final cut (images and video clip of which are viewable here). The stunning concept is a creation by graphic designer Mustafa Dağdelen, said the same report.
Looking closely on the model, the author obviously applied the circulating speculations he deemed as the nearest picture of the iPhone 6 would be on launch time.
And as more clues, leaks from supply chain sources and multiple renders, came out and visualize the next iPhone, what seemingly is left to be provided are the exact release details of the device.
For the 4.7-inch model, analysts, including Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities, are convinced that September 19 2014 is D-Day.
Kuo, however, has indicated that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 release date will be delayed due to production issues, predicting that the device will only be available by late 2014 or early 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report