Canada Takes Stand for Israel Again, U.S.A Maintains ‘Double Standards’
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 16, 2014 11:29 AM EST
Pro-Palestinian demonstrators display signs outside of New York City hall, where a pro-Israel rally organised by local Jewish communities is taking place, in New York July 14, 2014.
According to Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird, it was not a battle between two neighbouring countries. It is rather a battle between a terrorist organisation and a country which is trying to protect itself, he said. Canada recognises Hamas as a terrorist organisation. "The buck stops with Hamas," Baird said Ottawa. "Hamas started this bloodshed. Hamas can end it."
Canada earlier asked world leaders to stand by Israel as it defended the Jewish country for resorting to airstrikes only to defend itself from Hamas attacks. Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said that there was no justification for "the indiscriminate rocket attacks from Gaza on Israel." He called it a terrorist act. "It is evident that Hamas is deliberately using human shields to further terror in the region," he said.
Unlike Canada which has taken a stand under the situation, the Unites States which is widely known for giving its opinion about international issues is yet to comment much on the on-going crisis. U.S. President Barack Obama did talk to Israel to broker peace but it has been mostly maintained inaction on the issue. According to London-based barrister Toby Cadman, the White House showed its "double standards" in dealing with the crisis.
Cadman said that Obama's government turned a blind eye when numerous Palestinian children were captured in video while being tortured by the Israeli security services. There were videos of them being shot dead as well. However, when the U.S. authorities saw the video of Palestinian-American teenager Tariq Abu Khdeir being tortured, they said that they were "profoundly disturbed." According to the international criminal law specialist, Israel is the only country in the world that arrests, detains and puts children on military trial.
Even the U.S. media is accused of "double standards." American economist Paul Craig Roberts has earlier said that the U.S. media calls it self-defence when Israel kills civilians and calls it "Muslim terrorism" when "someone responds to Israeli aggression with a rocket."
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales