Woman Who Ate, Slept Beside Mother's Corpse for 3 Years Has Been Arrested
By Tanya Diente | July 16, 2014 10:07 AM EST
She's been called "psycho' daughter" since she had reportedly been eating and sleeping next to her mother's corpse for three years. Now reports have surfaced that the cops have arrested her after she refused to come out of her apartment.
Chava Stirn, a 28-year old woman from Brooklyn, was arrested after neighbours called the cops complaining of a foul smell coming from her apartment.
Police were called to her apartment in the 15th Avenue residence in the Borough Park neighborhood. Police sources told New York Post that the neighbours initially didn't smell anything suspicious until the building supervisor discovered a leak coming from Stirn's apartment.
One of the neighbours, Amin Ashrafov, said the odour was heinous. "I've never smelled something like that before," he said.
Stirn reportedly refused to open her door so emergency workers were forced to knock it down. They were surprised to find her sitting on a chair looking muddled. She was also surrounded by waist-high mounds of trash. She was reportedly even wearing her mother's black shoes and black dress, which the deceased wore when she died.
She was also acting unpredictable when cops approached her. However, she was successfully apprehended and taken to a psychiatric facility in Maimonides Medical Center, after she claimed she wanted to hurt herself.
Police sources said Chava Stirn was too cooped up inside her apartment that she won't let anyone in. Neighbours said they also haven't seen her come out. They would however, notice relatives leaving her food outside her door.
A police said Stirn believes her mother had left her there in the apartment "to die."
The remains of the 61-year old Susie Rosenthal were laid on a bed of trash bags in the kitchen of Stirn's apartment. Stirn would reportedly drag a chair next to the corpse when she sleeps.
Neighbours claimed they would often hear odd sounds coming from her apartment.
"When I listened, she was screaming . . . [She yelled] 'I kill myself, I kill myself!' " said Malka Lerner, 41.
Another police said the scene is like straight out of the "Psycho" movie. He claimed it's one of the "weirdest cases" he has ever seen. Police indicated that from time to time, Stirn would sometimes dress up her mother's corpse.
"She may have been living there with the mom's remains for two or three years . . . It's a horrible scene," another source said.
Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 horror hit "Psycho" resembles Chava Stirn's story in so many ways. According to hngn, Norman Bates used to live with his mom's corpse same as Stirn. Norman Bates also dressed up like his mother, as previously mentioned. In "Psycho" Bates dressed up his mother's corpse, again similar to the police claim. However, Susie Rosenthal's death is still unclear and a relative also declined to comment. Stirn's reasons for keeping her mother's remains is also a mystery.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal