Durant, Griffin, Curry Lead 19-Man Team USA Pool for FIBA World Cup in Spain
By James Patrick Quizon | July 15, 2014 6:18 PM EST
As usual, the United States of America basketball national team is deep and talented.
For the upcoming FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain in August, Team USA has identified a 19-player pool that will join the training camp leading up to the final selection for this year’s world championships.
NBA: Playoffs-Los Angeles Clippers at Golden State Warriors
Here’s a per position look at the US pool:
Point Guards (4): Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors); Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers); Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers); Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls);
Shooting Guards (5): James Harden (Houston Rockets); Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards); DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors); Chandler Parsons (Dallas Mavericks); Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
Small Forward (4): Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder); Paul George (Indiana Pacers); Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz); Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks);
Power Forward (4): Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves); Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers); Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons); Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets);
Center (2): Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)
Aside from the obvious—depth and skills—Team USA players are known for their versatility as most can shift from one position to another especially in international competition.
For example, guards like Curry and Lillard have reliable outside shots that they can easily slide to the 2-spot; and big men like Love and Griffin can move to the C-spot if the Americans want to go faster but without sacrificing much of the the team ceiling.
Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, who has a 46-1 record with the national team since 2006, will once again handle the squad.
“It’s valuable to have some veteran leadership who has won gold at the highest levels internationally. The list also includes some of the most exciting young players who could definitely contribute to this team,” said Krzyzewski to the official website of USA Basketball.
“Myself and the entire coaching staff are excited to get things underway and as we’ve done each summer our team will strive to represent the United States with respect and a commitment to excellence that hopefully will make every American proud.”
Team 19-man crew wil participate in the Las Vegas training camp as part of Team USA's preparation for the World Cup in Spain.
Which players deserve to be in the final line-up? Will the Americans romp through the competition in Spain once again and easily bag the gold? Or can any country challenge them this year?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report