Durant, Griffin, Curry Lead 19-Man Team USA Pool for FIBA World Cup in Spain
By James Patrick Quizon | July 15, 2014 6:18 PM EST
As usual, the United States of America basketball national team is deep and talented.
For the upcoming FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain in August, Team USA has identified a 19-player pool that will join the training camp leading up to the final selection for this year’s world championships.
NBA: Playoffs-Los Angeles Clippers at Golden State Warriors
Here’s a per position look at the US pool:
Point Guards (4): Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors); Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers); Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers); Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls);
Shooting Guards (5): James Harden (Houston Rockets); Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards); DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors); Chandler Parsons (Dallas Mavericks); Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
Small Forward (4): Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder); Paul George (Indiana Pacers); Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz); Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks);
Power Forward (4): Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves); Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers); Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons); Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets);
Center (2): Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)
Aside from the obvious—depth and skills—Team USA players are known for their versatility as most can shift from one position to another especially in international competition.
For example, guards like Curry and Lillard have reliable outside shots that they can easily slide to the 2-spot; and big men like Love and Griffin can move to the C-spot if the Americans want to go faster but without sacrificing much of the the team ceiling.
Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, who has a 46-1 record with the national team since 2006, will once again handle the squad.
“It’s valuable to have some veteran leadership who has won gold at the highest levels internationally. The list also includes some of the most exciting young players who could definitely contribute to this team,” said Krzyzewski to the official website of USA Basketball.
“Myself and the entire coaching staff are excited to get things underway and as we’ve done each summer our team will strive to represent the United States with respect and a commitment to excellence that hopefully will make every American proud.”
Team 19-man crew wil participate in the Las Vegas training camp as part of Team USA's preparation for the World Cup in Spain.
Which players deserve to be in the final line-up? Will the Americans romp through the competition in Spain once again and easily bag the gold? Or can any country challenge them this year?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble