Durant, Griffin, Curry Lead 19-Man Team USA Pool for FIBA World Cup in Spain
By James Patrick Quizon | July 15, 2014 6:18 PM EST
As usual, the United States of America basketball national team is deep and talented.
For the upcoming FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain in August, Team USA has identified a 19-player pool that will join the training camp leading up to the final selection for this year’s world championships.
NBA: Playoffs-Los Angeles Clippers at Golden State Warriors
Here’s a per position look at the US pool:
Point Guards (4): Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors); Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers); Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers); Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls);
Shooting Guards (5): James Harden (Houston Rockets); Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards); DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors); Chandler Parsons (Dallas Mavericks); Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
Small Forward (4): Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder); Paul George (Indiana Pacers); Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz); Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks);
Power Forward (4): Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves); Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers); Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons); Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets);
Center (2): Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings)
Aside from the obvious—depth and skills—Team USA players are known for their versatility as most can shift from one position to another especially in international competition.
For example, guards like Curry and Lillard have reliable outside shots that they can easily slide to the 2-spot; and big men like Love and Griffin can move to the C-spot if the Americans want to go faster but without sacrificing much of the the team ceiling.
Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, who has a 46-1 record with the national team since 2006, will once again handle the squad.
“It’s valuable to have some veteran leadership who has won gold at the highest levels internationally. The list also includes some of the most exciting young players who could definitely contribute to this team,” said Krzyzewski to the official website of USA Basketball.
“Myself and the entire coaching staff are excited to get things underway and as we’ve done each summer our team will strive to represent the United States with respect and a commitment to excellence that hopefully will make every American proud.”
Team 19-man crew wil participate in the Las Vegas training camp as part of Team USA's preparation for the World Cup in Spain.
Which players deserve to be in the final line-up? Will the Americans romp through the competition in Spain once again and easily bag the gold? Or can any country challenge them this year?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date