Top HS Basketball Prospect Skipping College, Playing Overseas
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 15, 2014 5:37 PM EST
More and more phenoms are going a different route in achieving their basketball dream.
The United States' top high school basketball prospect, Southern Methodist University Emmanuel Mudiay of Dallas, will skip college, hire an agent and take a job playing overseas, Yahoo! Sports broke the news. After the announcement, SMU coach Larry Brown confirmed the report that his top recruit will be honing his skills internationally.
"This is not an academic issue, since he has been admitted to SMU, but rather a hardship issue," Brown said in a statement.
The former NBA coach and champion believes that his ward would like to earn money overseas as he awaits eligibility to enter the NBA Draft. The NBA requires that players applying for the draft must be at least 19 years old and one year removed from high school.
Mudiay, a 6-foot-5 guard is rated as the best guard of the 2014 class and second best prospect behind Jahlil Okafor. His move is similar to the decision made by now Detroit Pistons point guard Brandon Jennings who also forego college to play in the Euroleague with Lottomatica Roma. Jennings was selected 10th overall in the 2009 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks.
"After talking to Emmanuel, I know he really wants to alleviate some of the challenges his family faces and recognizes that he has an opportunity to help them now," Brown expanded on the matter through an e-mail. "While I believe that college is the best way to prepare for life and the NBA, Emmanuel's situation is unique."
Mudiay, a native of Zaire, attended Prime Prep Academy in Dallas. He is widely considered to be selected in the lottery area in the 2015 draft after averaging impressive number in high school at 16 points, six rebounds and four assists a game as a senior.
The Chinese Basketball Association has been reported by Yahoo! Sports as a possible destination for Mudiay.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists