Mayweather Calls Maidana “Dirty” in Promotional Tour Kick Off in New York
By James Patrick Quizon | July 15, 2014 5:25 PM EST
Two months away from their Mayweather vs. Maidana rematch, “Money” is already cashing in on the verbal jabs.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana kicked-off their four-day five-city promotional tour on Monday in New York formally announcing the bout set on September 13, 2014 to be held at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana (right) promote their upcoming welterweight rematch during a press conference at Times Square.
The undefeated American fighter admitted that his first fight with Maidana was a tough one but because of dirty tactics of the Argentine.
"Was I ever hurt? Sure, the shots to the back of the head hurt. Whenever you're in a heated battle you are going to be sore, it comes with the territory. Is Maidana a better fighter than Canelo? No. Cotto? No. He's just dirtier fighter. I didn't get a deep gash from a punch; I got it from a head butt,” declared Mayweather in the press conference in N.Y.
"My job is to win. Everyone remembers a winner. That's my legacy. I don't need to change my style. The guy who got the loss needs to change his style. Marcos Maidana came out and gave a tough effort, I mean he fought his heart out but it wasn't clean.”
Mayweather (46-0-0, 26 KO) and Maidana (35-4-0, 31 KO) continue their tour in Washington (July 14), Chicago and San Antonio (July 15) and Los Angeles (July 17)—which means that Mayweather still has four cities left where he can talk trash to Maidana.
View the slideshow for more images from the Mayweather vs. Maidana II promotional tour in New York.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions