Mayweather Calls Maidana “Dirty” in Promotional Tour Kick Off in New York
By James Patrick Quizon | July 15, 2014 5:25 PM EST
Two months away from their Mayweather vs. Maidana rematch, “Money” is already cashing in on the verbal jabs.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana kicked-off their four-day five-city promotional tour on Monday in New York formally announcing the bout set on September 13, 2014 to be held at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana (right) promote their upcoming welterweight rematch during a press conference at Times Square.
The undefeated American fighter admitted that his first fight with Maidana was a tough one but because of dirty tactics of the Argentine.
"Was I ever hurt? Sure, the shots to the back of the head hurt. Whenever you're in a heated battle you are going to be sore, it comes with the territory. Is Maidana a better fighter than Canelo? No. Cotto? No. He's just dirtier fighter. I didn't get a deep gash from a punch; I got it from a head butt,” declared Mayweather in the press conference in N.Y.
"My job is to win. Everyone remembers a winner. That's my legacy. I don't need to change my style. The guy who got the loss needs to change his style. Marcos Maidana came out and gave a tough effort, I mean he fought his heart out but it wasn't clean.”
Mayweather (46-0-0, 26 KO) and Maidana (35-4-0, 31 KO) continue their tour in Washington (July 14), Chicago and San Antonio (July 15) and Los Angeles (July 17)—which means that Mayweather still has four cities left where he can talk trash to Maidana.
View the slideshow for more images from the Mayweather vs. Maidana II promotional tour in New York.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air