Loom Band Craze: Prince William and Kate Wear Bracelet, $310k Loom Dress Sold in eBay and Dad Making World record
By Athena Yenko | July 15, 2014 4:00 PM EST
The craze over loom bands is sweeping the world like storm, as more celebrities were spotted wearing them. A mother even sold a dress made purely of loom bands for $310k in eBay and a father is trying to make a world record.
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, applaud on the podium at the finish line of the first 190.5 km stage of the Tour de France cycling race from Leeds to Harrogate, July 5, 2014.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, David Beckham, Miley Cyrus and Harry Styles were among the celebrities who had been spotted wearing loom bands, according to various reports.
Prince William was recently seen wearing his loom bands as the couple watch the Tour de France cycling race from Leeds to Harrogate on July 5.
Kate was seen wearing the bracelet as she tours New Zealand and Australia in April. The bracelets were given by two girls and William and Kate saw to it that they wear them.
In North Wales, a mother was able to sell a dress she made from 24,000 loom bands over 45 hours for a whopping $310,215.
Helen Wright, 42, and friend Kathryn Burnand who helped her put the bands together, could not believe it until they were able to see the money in the bank.
"I'm still in shock and I can't believe it. I still won't believe it until the bidding's finished and the money is in the bank. My friend Katherine physically made it because she's out of work and gets bored. She did an hour here or there in between her house work to keep her busy. It was made as a novelty and we never intended it to be worn," Wright told Wales Online.
The dress was worn by Wright's daughter in a picture posted on eBay.
In Mevagissey, Cornwall, father Lister Paige hopes to make a world record as he tries to create the longest loom band bracelet in the world, measuring 360 metres (1,000 feet). He hopes that the finished product could eventually be auctioned for charity.
Paige said that it will probably take him one year to finish the bracelet.
He shared that it was his daughter who introduced him to loom bands.
"My daughter had made a loom bracelet in 10 minutes and I said, 'How do you make them?' She showed me and I thought, 'that's brilliant'. Everyday it grows by about a metre. By the end of the challenge it could be 360 metres long - if not longer. But the honest answer is I don't have a clue how far this will go - it's like asking how long is a piece of string," Paige told Mirror.
Loom Bands was launched in 2011 by engineer Cheong Choon Ng from Michigan. He came up with the idea after seeing his daughters having difficulty twisting hairbands into bracelets. He joined his daughter to help but his hands were too big. He then experimented with dental floss and push pins.
From there, the patent Rainbow Loom was born. The company sold 3.5m units in 2013 and generated more than $44m in revenue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia