2014 FIFA World Cup Awards
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 15, 2014 3:30 PM EST
The 2014 Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) World Cup fever is over. Joachim Low's German squad won its fourth World Cup title after Mario Gotze's goal in the 112th minute of the long match, beating Argentina 1-0. As such, there are many footballers who shone and took their games to a higher level. Their great performances during the month-long tournament will never go unnoticed. Let us a have a round-up of the athletes who performed well in Brazil.
The official mascot of the FIFA 2014 World Cup, Fuleco the Armadillo, is seen on a float of Leandro de Itaquera samba school during the first night of the Special Group of the annual Carnival parade in Sao Paulo's Sambadrome February 28, 2014. REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker
Man of the Match - Mario Gotze
Gotze, the miracle boy, who brought the Germans to their fourth World Cup title, was awarded as the man of the match. He played 32 minutes, completed 19 passes, and scored one goal during the finals match. Gotze claimed instant fame and became a national hero for his country after scoring the winning goal. He was lost for words and extremely felt exuberant of the achievement he brought his nation. "It's difficult to put into words," Gotze told FIFA. Gotze was gracious with his team's victory and said that they all played well until the very end. He said they all deserved to win.
Golden Ball - Leo Messi
Argentine Leo Messi was awarded the 2014 FIFA Golden Ball for the being the best player in the tournament. However, Messi's Golden Ball award has garnered mixed reactions. According to Diego Maradona, the Argentine forward didn't deserve to win the said award, Sydney Morning Herald reported. However, Argentina's coach Alejandro Sabella has no qualms that Messi was worthy of the awards. "I think he deserve it," said Sabella. "He played an extraordinary World Cup and he was a fundamental factor to our team," Sabella added.
Golden Boot - James Rodriguez
Colombia's James Rodriguez was awarded the Golden Boot by being the top scorer in the tournament. He has scored a total of 6 goals in all the five games that he played. Rodriguez and the rest of the Colombia's team exited that tournament at the quarterfinal stage.
Golden Glove - Manuel Neuer
Germany's Manuel Neuer received the Golden Glove award. "He is the perfect player," coach Joachim Low said of the 28-year-old goalkeeper via ESPNFC. According to Low, Neuer has the "same technical skills as everybody else." Low said Neuer can also play in the midfield.
Young Player Award
France's Paul Pogba received that Young Player Award. Pogba has displayed a sequence of rock-hard routines during the tournament.
Fair Play Award
The Fair Play Award was given to Colombia. This award is reportedly given to the team that has reached the knockout stage and is given to the team that has the best disciplinary record.
2014 FIFA WORLD CUP WINNERS
Germany - Winner
Argentina - Runner Up
Netherlands - Third
Brazil - Fourth
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?