2014 FIFA World Cup Awards
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 15, 2014 3:30 PM EST
The 2014 Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) World Cup fever is over. Joachim Low's German squad won its fourth World Cup title after Mario Gotze's goal in the 112th minute of the long match, beating Argentina 1-0. As such, there are many footballers who shone and took their games to a higher level. Their great performances during the month-long tournament will never go unnoticed. Let us a have a round-up of the athletes who performed well in Brazil.
The official mascot of the FIFA 2014 World Cup, Fuleco the Armadillo, is seen on a float of Leandro de Itaquera samba school during the first night of the Special Group of the annual Carnival parade in Sao Paulo's Sambadrome February 28, 2014. REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker
Man of the Match - Mario Gotze
Gotze, the miracle boy, who brought the Germans to their fourth World Cup title, was awarded as the man of the match. He played 32 minutes, completed 19 passes, and scored one goal during the finals match. Gotze claimed instant fame and became a national hero for his country after scoring the winning goal. He was lost for words and extremely felt exuberant of the achievement he brought his nation. "It's difficult to put into words," Gotze told FIFA. Gotze was gracious with his team's victory and said that they all played well until the very end. He said they all deserved to win.
Golden Ball - Leo Messi
Argentine Leo Messi was awarded the 2014 FIFA Golden Ball for the being the best player in the tournament. However, Messi's Golden Ball award has garnered mixed reactions. According to Diego Maradona, the Argentine forward didn't deserve to win the said award, Sydney Morning Herald reported. However, Argentina's coach Alejandro Sabella has no qualms that Messi was worthy of the awards. "I think he deserve it," said Sabella. "He played an extraordinary World Cup and he was a fundamental factor to our team," Sabella added.
Golden Boot - James Rodriguez
Colombia's James Rodriguez was awarded the Golden Boot by being the top scorer in the tournament. He has scored a total of 6 goals in all the five games that he played. Rodriguez and the rest of the Colombia's team exited that tournament at the quarterfinal stage.
Golden Glove - Manuel Neuer
Germany's Manuel Neuer received the Golden Glove award. "He is the perfect player," coach Joachim Low said of the 28-year-old goalkeeper via ESPNFC. According to Low, Neuer has the "same technical skills as everybody else." Low said Neuer can also play in the midfield.
Young Player Award
France's Paul Pogba received that Young Player Award. Pogba has displayed a sequence of rock-hard routines during the tournament.
Fair Play Award
The Fair Play Award was given to Colombia. This award is reportedly given to the team that has reached the knockout stage and is given to the team that has the best disciplinary record.
2014 FIFA WORLD CUP WINNERS
Germany - Winner
Argentina - Runner Up
Netherlands - Third
Brazil - Fourth
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report