Lamar Odom’s NBA Career Likely Over, Officially Cut by New York Knicks
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 15, 2014 3:26 PM EST
Dark clouds continue to loom over Lamar Odom's career in the National Basketball Association (NBA). It has recently been revealed that Odom was cut by the New York Knicks because the veteran forward reportedly never played a single game for the team which signed him in the latter part of the last season.
Basketball player Lamar Odom departs the New York state Supreme Court after a child custody hearing with his ex-girlfriend, Liza Morales, in Manhattan, March 5, 2013.
Odom's former coach and Knicks' president Phil Jackson made the official statement on Friday, USA TODAY reported. According to Jackson, Odom fall short and did not meet the standards of the premiere basketball league. "Unfortunately, Lamar was unable to uphold the standards to return as an NBA player," said Jackson. "We found it necessary to free up the roster spot."
The Knicks decided to keep center Cole Aldrich, instead.
Odom has previously played with the Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Lakers, and the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA. He last played for the Los Angeles Clippers in the 2012-2013 NBA season. He played for one year and became a free agent by July 2013. He was averaging 4.0 points per game. Since then, no NBA teams have expressed their interests to sign him. It was around the same time that he started having personal dilemmas such as his alleged drug abuse and marital woes with reality TV star Khloe Kardashian, who eventually filed for divorce from him.
In February 2014, Odom was signed by the Spanish basketball club Laboral Kutxa or also known as Baskonia. It was a two-month deal, but Odom had to cut his contract short due to his back problems. He only played two games with the Spanish basketball club.
In April 2014, Odom was signed by the New York Knicks in a non-guaranteed deal, hoping that the New York native will be able to prove his worth so that he can earn a spot in the team's roster, which unfortunately, did not quite work out as everyone had hoped for.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James