Lamar Odom’s NBA Career Likely Over, Officially Cut by New York Knicks
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 15, 2014 3:26 PM EST
Dark clouds continue to loom over Lamar Odom's career in the National Basketball Association (NBA). It has recently been revealed that Odom was cut by the New York Knicks because the veteran forward reportedly never played a single game for the team which signed him in the latter part of the last season.
Basketball player Lamar Odom departs the New York state Supreme Court after a child custody hearing with his ex-girlfriend, Liza Morales, in Manhattan, March 5, 2013.
Odom's former coach and Knicks' president Phil Jackson made the official statement on Friday, USA TODAY reported. According to Jackson, Odom fall short and did not meet the standards of the premiere basketball league. "Unfortunately, Lamar was unable to uphold the standards to return as an NBA player," said Jackson. "We found it necessary to free up the roster spot."
The Knicks decided to keep center Cole Aldrich, instead.
Odom has previously played with the Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Lakers, and the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA. He last played for the Los Angeles Clippers in the 2012-2013 NBA season. He played for one year and became a free agent by July 2013. He was averaging 4.0 points per game. Since then, no NBA teams have expressed their interests to sign him. It was around the same time that he started having personal dilemmas such as his alleged drug abuse and marital woes with reality TV star Khloe Kardashian, who eventually filed for divorce from him.
In February 2014, Odom was signed by the Spanish basketball club Laboral Kutxa or also known as Baskonia. It was a two-month deal, but Odom had to cut his contract short due to his back problems. He only played two games with the Spanish basketball club.
In April 2014, Odom was signed by the New York Knicks in a non-guaranteed deal, hoping that the New York native will be able to prove his worth so that he can earn a spot in the team's roster, which unfortunately, did not quite work out as everyone had hoped for.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members