How to Get Android L Performance on Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One, LG G2, Moto X, Sony Xperia Z2 and Others
By Ryan Inoyori | July 15, 2014 3:12 PM EST
Android L user experience is achievable on certain devices running Android KitKat version, by installing certain apps without requiring any root access or unlocking the boot loader. Here are the tips to get Android L performance, keyboard, wallpaper and notifications.
There are at least five smartphones which can access the Android L user experience without needed the firmware itself. First, the device must be upgraded to Android KitKat whatever version it may be.
- HTC One
- LG G2
- Motorola X
- Samsung Galaxy S5
- Sony Xperia Z2
After the Android KitKat update, go to Settings > About Phone > Tap the build version seven times to unlock the Developer Options > Go back > Developer Options > Select Runtime > Select ART instead of Dalvik. Several apps are supporting Android Runtime which performs smoother compared to Dalvik.
Android L's new keyboard features a faster and smoother user experience compared to previous Android versions, with support on personalised dictionary, various languages, swipe gesture and theme. However, there is no exact Android version requirement for this to work. It has been confirmed running on any Android device with version Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and above.
To download the Android L keyboard, click here for XDA senior member asdfzz modded APK version of the app. Users can change the theme to "material" by going to settings of the Android L keyboard inside the Language and Input in the Settings menu.
Android L Notifications
Users who have seen the Android L new notifications bar called Heads Up which supports both lock and home screen can download the application without requiring any root access or paying anything.
1. Heads-Up Notifications by Simen.codes
It supports any Android device with Heads Up notifications of Android L firmware whether rooted or non-rooted. The app features a floating pop-up notification on the lock and home screen, control over which apps should use the Heads Up notification, quick actions, duration of the notification, and multiple theme support. Click here to visit the app at Google Play Store.
2. Heads Up! - Notifications by Woodblock Without Co.
It features the same Heads Up notifications from Android L which supports various apps and services including the music player. Users can also configure the apps supported by the Heads Up notification, duration of the notifications and more. Click here to visit the app at Google Play Store.
Android L Themes
There are several Android L themes available right now at the Play Store. Among the most prominent is the support for Sony Xperia devices with Xperia Theme feature found on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and Android KitKat OS.
1. XDA member JanM RS has ported a version of the Android L theme, which requires Android 4.4.2 KitKat for full impact. Otherwise, the soft key buttons won't be changed on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
2. In case the device running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean has root access, another version of the Android L for Xperia Theme will allow the revamp on the soft key buttons. Click here to download the file.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'World Of Warcraft' 6.0.3 Patch Hotfixes Update Including The Satchel Of Savage Mysteries, Zidormi In Dustwallow Marsh And The Frostwall Mines
- High-End Tablets Face-Off: Google’s Nexus 9 Versus Apple’s iPad Air 2
- Nokia Lumia 635: Sprint, Boost Mobile And Virgin Mobile Set To Sell Windows Phone Handset
- ‘GTA V' Heists Release Date Update: Rockstar Confirms DLC Out In ‘Early 2015'
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ News: More On Volcanion Event And Easy To Catch Legendaries