Box Office Report: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Crosses $100 Million Mark
By Sachin Trivedi | July 15, 2014 2:43 PM EST
The popular movie "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" has crossed the $100 million mark at the box office from its worldwide collection. The movie is at the top of the charts followed by "Transformers: Age of Extinction" and "Tammy."
Actor Andy Serkis is seen in his role as ape Caesar from the upcoming film "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" in this publicity photo released to Reuters June 30, 2014. For the film, opening in U.S. theaters this weekend, director Matt Reeves says he pushed the boundaries of motion capture to achieve "photo-reality" in rendering the apes, particularly in their facial expressions. To match Feature FILM-MOTIONCAPTURE/APES REUTERS/Weta/20th Century Fox/Handout via Reuters
According to a report by Box Office Mojo, "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" topped the charts at the weekend box office. The collection from the U.S market stood at over $70 million and the movie got over $30 million from the international market. The movie toppled "Transformers: Age of Extinction" to get to the top of the charts.
"Transformers: Age of Extinction" was able to collect over $740 million at the box office. More than $200 million came from the U.S market and the rest of over $540 million came from the international market.
The comedy flick "Tammy" came in a close third at the box office. The movie was able to collect over $59 million worldwide. More than $56 million of the total collection came from the U.S market and over $2 million came from the international market.
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is the continuing story of Caesar the ape who leads a group of intelligent apes as they try to build their own civilisation to dominate the earth. The fragile peace between humans and apes gets tested in the movie.
"Transformers: Age of Extinction" is about a mechanic who stumbles upon an old truck which may be the leader of the Autobots - Optimus Prime. He and his daughter are pursued by a secret government agency and an alien bounty hunter called Lockdown.
"Tammy" is the story of a woman who loses her job and finds out that her husband has been cheating on her. The movie is mostly about a road trip she takes along with her grandmother and has a hilarious adventure.
The popular upcoming movies "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" will have to contend with this weekend include "Sex Tape," "The Purge: Anarchy," "Planes: Fire and Rescue," "Wish I Was Here," "I Origins," "Aftermath," and "Mood Indigo."
Star Wars 7 Production News: Harrison Ford Back on His Feet [Read]
Hobbit 3 Plot Spoilers: Thorin's Greed and Smaug's Fury [Read]
Fast and Furious 7 Production Update: Stars Pay Tribute Producers Say Thanks [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight