Box Office Report: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Crosses $100 Million Mark
By Sachin Trivedi | July 15, 2014 2:43 PM EST
The popular movie "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" has crossed the $100 million mark at the box office from its worldwide collection. The movie is at the top of the charts followed by "Transformers: Age of Extinction" and "Tammy."
Actor Andy Serkis is seen in his role as ape Caesar from the upcoming film "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" in this publicity photo released to Reuters June 30, 2014. For the film, opening in U.S. theaters this weekend, director Matt Reeves says he pushed the boundaries of motion capture to achieve "photo-reality" in rendering the apes, particularly in their facial expressions. To match Feature FILM-MOTIONCAPTURE/APES REUTERS/Weta/20th Century Fox/Handout via Reuters
According to a report by Box Office Mojo, "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" topped the charts at the weekend box office. The collection from the U.S market stood at over $70 million and the movie got over $30 million from the international market. The movie toppled "Transformers: Age of Extinction" to get to the top of the charts.
"Transformers: Age of Extinction" was able to collect over $740 million at the box office. More than $200 million came from the U.S market and the rest of over $540 million came from the international market.
The comedy flick "Tammy" came in a close third at the box office. The movie was able to collect over $59 million worldwide. More than $56 million of the total collection came from the U.S market and over $2 million came from the international market.
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is the continuing story of Caesar the ape who leads a group of intelligent apes as they try to build their own civilisation to dominate the earth. The fragile peace between humans and apes gets tested in the movie.
"Transformers: Age of Extinction" is about a mechanic who stumbles upon an old truck which may be the leader of the Autobots - Optimus Prime. He and his daughter are pursued by a secret government agency and an alien bounty hunter called Lockdown.
"Tammy" is the story of a woman who loses her job and finds out that her husband has been cheating on her. The movie is mostly about a road trip she takes along with her grandmother and has a hilarious adventure.
The popular upcoming movies "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" will have to contend with this weekend include "Sex Tape," "The Purge: Anarchy," "Planes: Fire and Rescue," "Wish I Was Here," "I Origins," "Aftermath," and "Mood Indigo."
Star Wars 7 Production News: Harrison Ford Back on His Feet [Read]
Hobbit 3 Plot Spoilers: Thorin's Greed and Smaug's Fury [Read]
Fast and Furious 7 Production Update: Stars Pay Tribute Producers Say Thanks [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen