Sons of Anarchy Kurt Sutter Rants About Emmy Snubs
By Riza Ornos | July 15, 2014 2:39 PM EST
"Sons of Anarchy" series creator Kurt Sutter is once again snubbed in the Emmy's major categories as the award giving body announced their final list of nominees. Although he was nominated in the Original Music and Lyrics category with Bob Thiele Jr. and Noah Gundersen, the tattooed showrunner revealed that he wants to win an Emmy and anyone who claims they don't is lying, and believes that the show's popularity will decline if they are nominated for a major Emmy.
"My bombastic outlaw-asshole reputation would be tarnished. Or rather, untarnished," he admitted in an interview with Nikki Finke. "I'd be just another smiling douchebag in a new suit, pretending to give a shit on the red carpet. Actually...taking a shit on the red carpet, that's something that might drop as a 'real and honest moment."
"Sons of Anarchy" season 6 finale theme song "Day is Gone" is the song nominated for this year's Emmy, and it was used over the emotional montage at the end of "A Mother's Work" episode. The season finale that left most of SOA fans speechless as Jax's wife (played by Maggie Siff) was brutally murdered by his mother (played by Katey Sagal) by the use of a carving knife.
He also ranted about Emmy's capabilities to choose real talent as the people who vote for their favorite shows are busy industry people, and don't have time to "fill in circles." "I know on an intellectual level that the Emmys are not and have never been a valid qualifier of talent. I know the people who vote are busy industry people with limited time and departmental biases," he added.
"And yet knowing all of that, I still suffer the emotional and spiritual depletion every July when "Sons of Anarchy" gets zero nominations in all major categories," he concluded. "While other f*****g shows that ran out of story three seasons ago, still get tagged to step up to the show.
Now in production for the show's seventh and final season, Sutter recently announced that rockers Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love will be joining the show. Manson will play as Ron Tully, a white supremacist that will help Jax in prison, while the "Hole" singer will play as Abel's teacher.
"Sons of Anarchy" season 7 is scheduled to premiere on FX in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS