Sons of Anarchy Kurt Sutter Rants About Emmy Snubs
By Riza Ornos | July 15, 2014 2:39 PM EST
"Sons of Anarchy" series creator Kurt Sutter is once again snubbed in the Emmy's major categories as the award giving body announced their final list of nominees. Although he was nominated in the Original Music and Lyrics category with Bob Thiele Jr. and Noah Gundersen, the tattooed showrunner revealed that he wants to win an Emmy and anyone who claims they don't is lying, and believes that the show's popularity will decline if they are nominated for a major Emmy.
"My bombastic outlaw-asshole reputation would be tarnished. Or rather, untarnished," he admitted in an interview with Nikki Finke. "I'd be just another smiling douchebag in a new suit, pretending to give a shit on the red carpet. Actually...taking a shit on the red carpet, that's something that might drop as a 'real and honest moment."
"Sons of Anarchy" season 6 finale theme song "Day is Gone" is the song nominated for this year's Emmy, and it was used over the emotional montage at the end of "A Mother's Work" episode. The season finale that left most of SOA fans speechless as Jax's wife (played by Maggie Siff) was brutally murdered by his mother (played by Katey Sagal) by the use of a carving knife.
He also ranted about Emmy's capabilities to choose real talent as the people who vote for their favorite shows are busy industry people, and don't have time to "fill in circles." "I know on an intellectual level that the Emmys are not and have never been a valid qualifier of talent. I know the people who vote are busy industry people with limited time and departmental biases," he added.
"And yet knowing all of that, I still suffer the emotional and spiritual depletion every July when "Sons of Anarchy" gets zero nominations in all major categories," he concluded. "While other f*****g shows that ran out of story three seasons ago, still get tagged to step up to the show.
Now in production for the show's seventh and final season, Sutter recently announced that rockers Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love will be joining the show. Manson will play as Ron Tully, a white supremacist that will help Jax in prison, while the "Hole" singer will play as Abel's teacher.
"Sons of Anarchy" season 7 is scheduled to premiere on FX in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Heartbroken about Walking Away from Fifty Shades of Grey [VIDEO]
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Official Trailer Released Plus Premiere Date, Spoilers: Gun Battle, Zombies, Beth Greene [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide