Sons of Anarchy Kurt Sutter Rants About Emmy Snubs
By Riza Ornos | July 15, 2014 2:39 PM EST
"Sons of Anarchy" series creator Kurt Sutter is once again snubbed in the Emmy's major categories as the award giving body announced their final list of nominees. Although he was nominated in the Original Music and Lyrics category with Bob Thiele Jr. and Noah Gundersen, the tattooed showrunner revealed that he wants to win an Emmy and anyone who claims they don't is lying, and believes that the show's popularity will decline if they are nominated for a major Emmy.
"My bombastic outlaw-asshole reputation would be tarnished. Or rather, untarnished," he admitted in an interview with Nikki Finke. "I'd be just another smiling douchebag in a new suit, pretending to give a shit on the red carpet. Actually...taking a shit on the red carpet, that's something that might drop as a 'real and honest moment."
"Sons of Anarchy" season 6 finale theme song "Day is Gone" is the song nominated for this year's Emmy, and it was used over the emotional montage at the end of "A Mother's Work" episode. The season finale that left most of SOA fans speechless as Jax's wife (played by Maggie Siff) was brutally murdered by his mother (played by Katey Sagal) by the use of a carving knife.
He also ranted about Emmy's capabilities to choose real talent as the people who vote for their favorite shows are busy industry people, and don't have time to "fill in circles." "I know on an intellectual level that the Emmys are not and have never been a valid qualifier of talent. I know the people who vote are busy industry people with limited time and departmental biases," he added.
"And yet knowing all of that, I still suffer the emotional and spiritual depletion every July when "Sons of Anarchy" gets zero nominations in all major categories," he concluded. "While other f*****g shows that ran out of story three seasons ago, still get tagged to step up to the show.
Now in production for the show's seventh and final season, Sutter recently announced that rockers Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love will be joining the show. Manson will play as Ron Tully, a white supremacist that will help Jax in prison, while the "Hole" singer will play as Abel's teacher.
"Sons of Anarchy" season 7 is scheduled to premiere on FX in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique