Sons of Anarchy Kurt Sutter Rants About Emmy Snubs
By Riza Ornos | July 15, 2014 2:39 PM EST
"Sons of Anarchy" series creator Kurt Sutter is once again snubbed in the Emmy's major categories as the award giving body announced their final list of nominees. Although he was nominated in the Original Music and Lyrics category with Bob Thiele Jr. and Noah Gundersen, the tattooed showrunner revealed that he wants to win an Emmy and anyone who claims they don't is lying, and believes that the show's popularity will decline if they are nominated for a major Emmy.
"My bombastic outlaw-asshole reputation would be tarnished. Or rather, untarnished," he admitted in an interview with Nikki Finke. "I'd be just another smiling douchebag in a new suit, pretending to give a shit on the red carpet. Actually...taking a shit on the red carpet, that's something that might drop as a 'real and honest moment."
"Sons of Anarchy" season 6 finale theme song "Day is Gone" is the song nominated for this year's Emmy, and it was used over the emotional montage at the end of "A Mother's Work" episode. The season finale that left most of SOA fans speechless as Jax's wife (played by Maggie Siff) was brutally murdered by his mother (played by Katey Sagal) by the use of a carving knife.
He also ranted about Emmy's capabilities to choose real talent as the people who vote for their favorite shows are busy industry people, and don't have time to "fill in circles." "I know on an intellectual level that the Emmys are not and have never been a valid qualifier of talent. I know the people who vote are busy industry people with limited time and departmental biases," he added.
"And yet knowing all of that, I still suffer the emotional and spiritual depletion every July when "Sons of Anarchy" gets zero nominations in all major categories," he concluded. "While other f*****g shows that ran out of story three seasons ago, still get tagged to step up to the show.
Now in production for the show's seventh and final season, Sutter recently announced that rockers Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love will be joining the show. Manson will play as Ron Tully, a white supremacist that will help Jax in prison, while the "Hole" singer will play as Abel's teacher.
"Sons of Anarchy" season 7 is scheduled to premiere on FX in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles