Sons of Anarchy Kurt Sutter Rants About Emmy Snubs
By Riza Ornos | July 15, 2014 2:39 PM EST
"Sons of Anarchy" series creator Kurt Sutter is once again snubbed in the Emmy's major categories as the award giving body announced their final list of nominees. Although he was nominated in the Original Music and Lyrics category with Bob Thiele Jr. and Noah Gundersen, the tattooed showrunner revealed that he wants to win an Emmy and anyone who claims they don't is lying, and believes that the show's popularity will decline if they are nominated for a major Emmy.
"My bombastic outlaw-asshole reputation would be tarnished. Or rather, untarnished," he admitted in an interview with Nikki Finke. "I'd be just another smiling douchebag in a new suit, pretending to give a shit on the red carpet. Actually...taking a shit on the red carpet, that's something that might drop as a 'real and honest moment."
"Sons of Anarchy" season 6 finale theme song "Day is Gone" is the song nominated for this year's Emmy, and it was used over the emotional montage at the end of "A Mother's Work" episode. The season finale that left most of SOA fans speechless as Jax's wife (played by Maggie Siff) was brutally murdered by his mother (played by Katey Sagal) by the use of a carving knife.
He also ranted about Emmy's capabilities to choose real talent as the people who vote for their favorite shows are busy industry people, and don't have time to "fill in circles." "I know on an intellectual level that the Emmys are not and have never been a valid qualifier of talent. I know the people who vote are busy industry people with limited time and departmental biases," he added.
"And yet knowing all of that, I still suffer the emotional and spiritual depletion every July when "Sons of Anarchy" gets zero nominations in all major categories," he concluded. "While other f*****g shows that ran out of story three seasons ago, still get tagged to step up to the show.
Now in production for the show's seventh and final season, Sutter recently announced that rockers Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love will be joining the show. Manson will play as Ron Tully, a white supremacist that will help Jax in prison, while the "Hole" singer will play as Abel's teacher.
"Sons of Anarchy" season 7 is scheduled to premiere on FX in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- 'The Mentalist' Season 7, Episode 1 Spoilers: The Ending Begins For Patrick Jane And Teresa Lisbon (Synopsis)
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports