Break Ups and Hair Cuts: There Is a Connection
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 15, 2014 1:57 PM EST
Once a relationship turns sour, it becomes important to let go off the bitter sweet taste the lost string leaves behind.
As a means, many women prefer to create a drastic change in their appearances by introducing a complete new hair cut. It’s often their way to express the very sense of freedom and new found independence.
A women's umbrella is blown inside out on a beach in Skegness, eastern England July 29, 2009.
Many Hollywood celebrities have donned new hair cuts after their much talked about break ups. Sandra Bullok after her split from Jesse James unleashed the rebellious side of her and completely dyed her hair into black. Jennifer Love Hewitt announced her single status by cropping up her hair to shoulder length. The list includes the names of celebrities like Reese Witherspoon, Evan Rachel Wood, and Hilary Swank, amongst many others.
According to clinical psychologist Seema Hingorrany, "Many women feel like their hair or appearance is still that one thing they have absolute control over. So, when they decide to chop off their tresses, it is mostly to adopt a new, fresher identity. The girl feels an intense need to move on and hence, the need to look different and new."
A new look after chopping off the traces mostly portrays that she wants to say ‘it’s time to start a fresh.’
Most women try to convey a definite message through this new look which when translated into words says, if you can’t change the situation, the least you can do is to change your looks. That is something you have absolute control over.
Women usually take lot of pride at their hair and it is something they are emotionally connected to a great extent.
Sometimes it’s also done to get old partner’s attention but that’s pretty rare a situation.
Psychiatrist Padma Rewari reiterated, "The act has little to do with the hair itself, it's more of a defense mechanism, where you brave your heart and mind to start anew. Different people have different ways of dealing with heartache. Some move away, some go on a holiday, some rebel and some get haircuts!"
The feeling is almost like catharsis, experts said.
It’s a way through which an emotionally broken woman makes a statement to the world that she is just fine and it’s time to move on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Great-Grandma With Dementia Writes Moving Letter Before Taking Life
- 'Game Of Thrones' Cast Members Nominate Each Other For ALS Ice Bucket Challenge [VIDEOS]
- Refraining from Your Regular Quota of Instant Noodles Might Save Your Life
- Smartphone-Linked 'Bionic' Pancreas More Effective In Diabetes: NSW Researchers
- Thanks to Technology, Young People are Losing the Ability to Read Emotions
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman