Break Ups and Hair Cuts: There Is a Connection
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 15, 2014 1:57 PM EST
Once a relationship turns sour, it becomes important to let go off the bitter sweet taste the lost string leaves behind.
As a means, many women prefer to create a drastic change in their appearances by introducing a complete new hair cut. It’s often their way to express the very sense of freedom and new found independence.
A women's umbrella is blown inside out on a beach in Skegness, eastern England July 29, 2009.
Many Hollywood celebrities have donned new hair cuts after their much talked about break ups. Sandra Bullok after her split from Jesse James unleashed the rebellious side of her and completely dyed her hair into black. Jennifer Love Hewitt announced her single status by cropping up her hair to shoulder length. The list includes the names of celebrities like Reese Witherspoon, Evan Rachel Wood, and Hilary Swank, amongst many others.
According to clinical psychologist Seema Hingorrany, "Many women feel like their hair or appearance is still that one thing they have absolute control over. So, when they decide to chop off their tresses, it is mostly to adopt a new, fresher identity. The girl feels an intense need to move on and hence, the need to look different and new."
A new look after chopping off the traces mostly portrays that she wants to say ‘it’s time to start a fresh.’
Most women try to convey a definite message through this new look which when translated into words says, if you can’t change the situation, the least you can do is to change your looks. That is something you have absolute control over.
Women usually take lot of pride at their hair and it is something they are emotionally connected to a great extent.
Sometimes it’s also done to get old partner’s attention but that’s pretty rare a situation.
Psychiatrist Padma Rewari reiterated, "The act has little to do with the hair itself, it's more of a defense mechanism, where you brave your heart and mind to start anew. Different people have different ways of dealing with heartache. Some move away, some go on a holiday, some rebel and some get haircuts!"
The feeling is almost like catharsis, experts said.
It’s a way through which an emotionally broken woman makes a statement to the world that she is just fine and it’s time to move on.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation