Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update via HellKat Custom ROM better than CyanogenMod
By Precious Silva | July 15, 2014 1:15 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S2 users can now update their devices to Android 4.4.2 KitkAt through a new HellKat custom ROM. According to reports the new custom ROM may be better than CyanogenMod offering Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 unit owners a new kind of OS. Those who wish to update through the custom ROM should satisfy a number of requirements and number of steps.
A man is silhouetted against a video screen with Apple and Samsung logos as he poses with a Samsung S4 smartphone in the central Bosnian town of Zenica, in this August 14, 2013 file photo illustration. A U.S. jury on May 2, 2014, ordered Samsung Electronics Co Ltd to pay $119.6 million to Apple Inc, after it found the South Korean smartphone maker had infringed two Apple patents. During the month-long trial in a San Jose, California, federal court, Apple accused Samsung of violating patents on smartphone features including universal search, while Samsung denied wrongdoing. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Files
The T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 HellKat ROM update is based on the CM 11 sources for Android 4.4.2 KitKat. The primary difference between the CM and the HellKat is that the latter follows the Linaro Toolchain. This renders a faster platform. The update also offers a Red holo launcher theme compared to the Blue on black. Users who wish to update to the firmware should satisfy the following requirements:
- USB Debugging Mode should be enabled. Go to Settings to enable the mode.
- The device should be charged at least 80% to avoid problems due to power interruptions.
- Important files, settings and data should be backed up. The previous Android used should also have a backup if the user wishes to restore previous settings.
- The device should be rooted and installed with ClockworkMod recovery.
Disclaimer: Providers of the update cannot be held responsible for what happens to the device following update. Users can use the firmware at their own risk. Unit owners should be aware that Samsung KIES will no longer be able to recognize the device because it will be running on a custom ROM.
To update to the HellKat ROM, Team Android provides the following instructions:
1. Download the file package for the Android 4.4.2 HellKat ROM and Google Apps for Galaxy S2.
2. Connect the device to the computer using USB cable.
3. Transfer the file packages to the SD card of the device. Make sure it is at the SD card root folder.
4. Turn off the Galaxy S2 device and disconnect from the computer.
5. Switch if to Recovery Mode. Press and Hold Power, Home and Volume Up buttons.
6. Under the ClockworkMod Recovery, choose a full data swipe. Select "wipe data/factory reset." The Power button can be used to confirm functions.
7. Users can also choose to wipe the dalvik cache to avoid boot loops.
8. Return to the main recovery screen and choose "install zip from SD card".
9. Click on "choose zip from sdcard". Use the volume keys to access the zip file in the SD card. Confirm installation and wait for the process to finish.
10. Do the same thing for the Gapps zip file.
11. Following installation, access "+++++Go Back+++++" and switch the phone to reboot by choose "reboot system now."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight