Must Know Facts on Identifying Symptoms of Kidney Disease
By Vanessa Michael Pulvinar | July 15, 2014 12:13 PM EST
Knowing the symptoms of kidney disease can help you get the treatment you need to feel your best.
AMA's position statement 2014 on Advertising and Public Interest includes ethical principles for doctors.
Often, early kidney problems don't have many symptoms. People should be aware that kidney diseases can be silent killers. (SOURCE)
Here is a list of symptoms you should look out for:
1. Kidney failure symptoms from damage to the kidneys
- The first symptom is changes in the urinary function in the frequency and amount of urination.
- Blood in the urine
2. Kidney failures symptoms from anemia
- Shortness of breath
-Kidney disease causes fluid to build up in the lungs
- Fatigue and Weakness
- A decrease in red cells equals a decrease in oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, resulting in decreased oxygen delivery to cells for them to do work; therefore, the body tires quickly
- Mental confusion
- Feeling cold all the time
-Pyelonephritis (kidney infection) may cause fever with chills
3. Symptoms from buildup of wastes in the body
- Loss of appetite (Source)
- Kidney failure causes waste build-up in your blood. This can causes severe itching and skin rashes
- Nausea and vomiting
-The build-up of waste products in your blood in kidney disease can also cause nausea and vomiting
- A metallic taste in the mouth or ammonia breath
-Kidney failure increases level of urea in the blood (uraemia). This urea is broken down to ammonia in the saliva causing urine-like bad breath called ammonia breath.
- Difficulty to concentrate
-Anaemia associated with kidney disease also depletes your brain of oxygen which may cause dizziness, trouble with concentration, etc.
4. Kidney failure symptoms from buildup of fluid in the body
-swollen in the face, hands, feet due to the inability of kidneys to remove wastes and extra fluid from the body.
- Shortness of breath
Note: Take time to contact your doctor to make an appointment if you have any symptoms or signs of kidney disease. Your doctor will conduct specific tests: urinalysis, blood tests, urine tests, and imaging tests
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]