British Punter Wins £83,000 for Correct Prediction of 5 Soccer Competitions, Including World Cup 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 15, 2014 8:42 AM EST
While England's team in the recently concluded World Cup tournament in Brazil did not fare well, punters from the country are luckier.
Another Briton bettor had a windfall of £83,000 after he correctly predicted results of five soccer competitions, including the World Cup 2014 from a wager of only £100. Sky Bet, which accepted the fivefold wager in August, said the lucky chap correctly named Manchester City as the Premier League, the Queens Park Rangers for the Championship, the Wolverhampton Wanderers for League One, Real Madrid for the Champions League and Germany for the World Cup.
Germany's Mario Goetze celebrates his goal against Argentina with teammates (L-R) Mats Hummels, Toni Kroos , Andre Schuerrle , Thomas Mueller and Benedikt Hoewedes during extra time in their 2014 World Cup final at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro July 13, 2014.
His winnings made the £2,505 prize of a bettor seem like loose change for correctly predicting the 7-1 score of the July 9 soccer game between Germany and Brazil.
That dude from Essex bet only £5 for the 500/1 odds, while others also benefitted financially with four-digit prizes for their correct halftime forecast of 5-0.
In China, where gambling is prohibited, the big winners were the smartphone gambling apps which took in over 10 billion yuan or $1.6 million of wagers, making the 2.3 billion yuan during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa appear paltry.
Chinese bettors also found it more convenient to wager a bet using their smartphones through an app instead of falling in line at a lottery centre, said Li Qiang of Shanghai who won 200 yuan after Uruguay whipped Italy in the group stage.
Alibaba got 7 per cent of the bets placed on its shopping platform, Taobao.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu