British Punter Wins £83,000 for Correct Prediction of 5 Soccer Competitions, Including World Cup 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 15, 2014 8:42 AM EST
While England's team in the recently concluded World Cup tournament in Brazil did not fare well, punters from the country are luckier.
Another Briton bettor had a windfall of £83,000 after he correctly predicted results of five soccer competitions, including the World Cup 2014 from a wager of only £100. Sky Bet, which accepted the fivefold wager in August, said the lucky chap correctly named Manchester City as the Premier League, the Queens Park Rangers for the Championship, the Wolverhampton Wanderers for League One, Real Madrid for the Champions League and Germany for the World Cup.
Germany's Mario Goetze celebrates his goal against Argentina with teammates (L-R) Mats Hummels, Toni Kroos , Andre Schuerrle , Thomas Mueller and Benedikt Hoewedes during extra time in their 2014 World Cup final at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro July 13, 2014.
His winnings made the £2,505 prize of a bettor seem like loose change for correctly predicting the 7-1 score of the July 9 soccer game between Germany and Brazil.
That dude from Essex bet only £5 for the 500/1 odds, while others also benefitted financially with four-digit prizes for their correct halftime forecast of 5-0.
In China, where gambling is prohibited, the big winners were the smartphone gambling apps which took in over 10 billion yuan or $1.6 million of wagers, making the 2.3 billion yuan during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa appear paltry.
Chinese bettors also found it more convenient to wager a bet using their smartphones through an app instead of falling in line at a lottery centre, said Li Qiang of Shanghai who won 200 yuan after Uruguay whipped Italy in the group stage.
Alibaba got 7 per cent of the bets placed on its shopping platform, Taobao.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown