British Punter Wins £83,000 for Correct Prediction of 5 Soccer Competitions, Including World Cup 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 15, 2014 8:42 AM EST
While England's team in the recently concluded World Cup tournament in Brazil did not fare well, punters from the country are luckier.
Another Briton bettor had a windfall of £83,000 after he correctly predicted results of five soccer competitions, including the World Cup 2014 from a wager of only £100. Sky Bet, which accepted the fivefold wager in August, said the lucky chap correctly named Manchester City as the Premier League, the Queens Park Rangers for the Championship, the Wolverhampton Wanderers for League One, Real Madrid for the Champions League and Germany for the World Cup.
Germany's Mario Goetze celebrates his goal against Argentina with teammates (L-R) Mats Hummels, Toni Kroos , Andre Schuerrle , Thomas Mueller and Benedikt Hoewedes during extra time in their 2014 World Cup final at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro July 13, 2014.
His winnings made the £2,505 prize of a bettor seem like loose change for correctly predicting the 7-1 score of the July 9 soccer game between Germany and Brazil.
That dude from Essex bet only £5 for the 500/1 odds, while others also benefitted financially with four-digit prizes for their correct halftime forecast of 5-0.
In China, where gambling is prohibited, the big winners were the smartphone gambling apps which took in over 10 billion yuan or $1.6 million of wagers, making the 2.3 billion yuan during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa appear paltry.
Chinese bettors also found it more convenient to wager a bet using their smartphones through an app instead of falling in line at a lottery centre, said Li Qiang of Shanghai who won 200 yuan after Uruguay whipped Italy in the group stage.
Alibaba got 7 per cent of the bets placed on its shopping platform, Taobao.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate