Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Camp Losing Patience Over Algieri’s Reply, At Risk Losing 7-Digit Guaranteed Purse; Algieri Finds $1.5M Offer Low Since He Is No Longer an Unknown Boxer
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 15, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Because junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri is taking too long to decide on the offer of eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao to be his opponent in the ring on Nov 22 in Macau, he risks losing a seven-digit guaranteed purse and a shot at fame and glory.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Joe DeGuardia, Algieri's promoter, told the Daily News on Sunday that Pacquiao's camp gave the 30-year-old boxer just one more day to decide. Otherwise, Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, will withdraw the offer, DeGuardia disclosed.
He said, "It's the opportunity of a lifetime. I need to know his answer. It's been a week. No one has told me anything about needing more money. Hopefully he comes to his senses but if I don't hear anything [by Monday] we'll likely lose the offer."
But Newsday said that Algieri is not happy with the $1.5 million offer plus a percentage of pay-per-view sales, based on its interview with the American boxer at a sporting goods store in Huntington Station on Saturday. Newsday quoted Algieri as saying, "I took a calculated risk with the Ruslan fight and took short money because of that reason. I was really unknown at that point. I'm not an unknown anymore."
He added, "If we're going to make this fight happen, I value myself and my health very highly. I just want what I deserve."
The highest purse that Algieri received in his 20-fight career is $100,000 when he won over Ruslan Provodnikov and acquired the title WBO junior welterweight which is not at stake if he loses to Pacquiao.
DeGuardia said that Algieri has issues over blood testing and tax implications by fighting in China, but those issues had been settled since VADA agreed to handle the drug testing. The promoter expressed disappointment at the turn of events and blames the boxer's lawyer, Eric Melzer, for giving Algieri the wrong advice.
One possible reason behind Algieri's hesitation is despite Pacquiao being labeled by some boxing experts as having slowed down compared to two years ago when he knocked out all his opponents in succession, the Filipino southpaw still delivers a strong punch which would be no match to his paltry boxing record in comparison to Pacquiao's.
The guaranteed purse for previous Pacquiao opponents was $1.5 million for Joshua Clottey in 2010, $4 million for Brandon Rios in 2013 and $6 million each for Timothy Bradley in 2014 and Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012.
However, Algieri's possible mistake may be Provodnikov's gain since the Russian boxer is reportedly high on Pacquiao's short list of opponents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS