Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Camp Losing Patience Over Algieri’s Reply, At Risk Losing 7-Digit Guaranteed Purse; Algieri Finds $1.5M Offer Low Since He Is No Longer an Unknown Boxer
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 15, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Because junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri is taking too long to decide on the offer of eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao to be his opponent in the ring on Nov 22 in Macau, he risks losing a seven-digit guaranteed purse and a shot at fame and glory.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Joe DeGuardia, Algieri's promoter, told the Daily News on Sunday that Pacquiao's camp gave the 30-year-old boxer just one more day to decide. Otherwise, Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, will withdraw the offer, DeGuardia disclosed.
He said, "It's the opportunity of a lifetime. I need to know his answer. It's been a week. No one has told me anything about needing more money. Hopefully he comes to his senses but if I don't hear anything [by Monday] we'll likely lose the offer."
But Newsday said that Algieri is not happy with the $1.5 million offer plus a percentage of pay-per-view sales, based on its interview with the American boxer at a sporting goods store in Huntington Station on Saturday. Newsday quoted Algieri as saying, "I took a calculated risk with the Ruslan fight and took short money because of that reason. I was really unknown at that point. I'm not an unknown anymore."
He added, "If we're going to make this fight happen, I value myself and my health very highly. I just want what I deserve."
The highest purse that Algieri received in his 20-fight career is $100,000 when he won over Ruslan Provodnikov and acquired the title WBO junior welterweight which is not at stake if he loses to Pacquiao.
DeGuardia said that Algieri has issues over blood testing and tax implications by fighting in China, but those issues had been settled since VADA agreed to handle the drug testing. The promoter expressed disappointment at the turn of events and blames the boxer's lawyer, Eric Melzer, for giving Algieri the wrong advice.
One possible reason behind Algieri's hesitation is despite Pacquiao being labeled by some boxing experts as having slowed down compared to two years ago when he knocked out all his opponents in succession, the Filipino southpaw still delivers a strong punch which would be no match to his paltry boxing record in comparison to Pacquiao's.
The guaranteed purse for previous Pacquiao opponents was $1.5 million for Joshua Clottey in 2010, $4 million for Brandon Rios in 2013 and $6 million each for Timothy Bradley in 2014 and Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012.
However, Algieri's possible mistake may be Provodnikov's gain since the Russian boxer is reportedly high on Pacquiao's short list of opponents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation