World Cup News: German Legend Still Wants to Represent National Side Amid Age
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 15, 2014 1:54 AM EST
Germany forward Miroslav Klose still wants to serve his national side amid the fact that father time is catching up on him.
The 36-year-old, who is currently plying his trade at the Serie A with Lazio, found the back of the net twice in this year's edition of the World Cup, surpassing the Brazilian Ronaldo as the all-time leading scorer of the quadrennial competition.
Germany's Klose gathers with his family after the team won their 2014 World Cup final against Argentina in Rio de Janeiro
It seems that Sunday's win at the Maracana was just too pleasing to the palate that he wants to have that feeling all over again.
"I do not know yet if I will go on with the national team," said the German legend.
"I'll take a couple of nights to sleep on it and then make the right decision."
Should he still chose to carry on, and should Joachim Low or any other manager handling Die Mannschaft come 2018 still consider him, it will be Salto-Klose's fifth participation at the World Cup finals, which will be another all-time record.
"This is outstanding, it crowns everything," he said."We finished second once, were third twice, but this is world-class. I can hardly comprehend it. It was always a dream to be up there (getting the trophy) and not just having to stand around and have to applaud others," he added.
"The team's performances were important, we wanted to keep our calm because we knew we had the better quality to win it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft