Paul Walker Update: Fast & Furious 7 Cancels Racing Scene, Cast & Crew Cautious about Paul Walker’s Curse
By Riza Ornos | July 14, 2014 5:09 PM EST
Best known for his role in the fast action movie franchise "Fast and Furious," Paul Walker love for speed and racing took his life late last year while in the passenger seat of the red 2005 Porsche Carrera GT with friend Roger Rodas. Died while in production for the seventh installment of the movie, the highly anticipated film was reportedly put into a halt last Thursday because of a dangerous racing scene.
Michelle Rodriguez arrives at the British Academy of Film and Arts (BAFTA) awards ceremony at the Royal Opera House in London February 16, 2014. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett
"Producers brought in drivers who are "authentic street racers" for the scene, where a souped-up yellow Chevelle races another car and dramatically pops a wheelie, as bystanders stand right by the track and cheer," TMZ reports.
The filming of the scene was being prepped at the Willow Springs International Raceway near Palmdale, a location that is only 45 minutes away from the place where Paul Walker's car was trapped in a fiery ending. Since they can't get the proper insurance to film the racing scene, the cast and crew had to stop their production as they were extremely cautious because of what happened to their lead star.
"The scene was being prepped for several days. Vin Diesel and other stars were there. But just before filming, we're told the suits from Universal abruptly cancelled the shoot, saying it was too dangerous," the gossip Web site added.
"But the word circulating among the staff is that they are extremely cautious because of what happened to the star of their movie. They believe a second crash -- even though Paul's was not film-related -- could jeopardize the entire franchise."
While some scenes have been deleted to ensure the safety of their cast and crew, Walker's co-star Michelle Rodriguez posted a photo on Instagram on Thursday, July 10, alongside Vin Diesel. A tribute to the late blue-eyed actor, the photo shows "Riddick" star in the driver's seat and the "Avatar" actress on the passenger seat in an American muscle car.
The "Avatar" actress shared the snap with her 670,000 followers and posted a heartfelt caption: "Ride or Die through thick and thin 15 yrs later surreal to think we made it through such a tough painful production. But this ones for you P I hope we make you proud love you."
The late 38-year-old actor's brother Cody Walker stepped in to help finish the movie and was given a role for the franchise's future film but not as a replacement of Paul. Walker's character Brian O'Connor will be seen retiring in the upcoming sequel, while his younger brother will join the crew.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage