“Lowly” India Embarrasses “Mighty” China in FIBA Asia Cup 2014
By James Patrick Quizon | July 14, 2014 4:46 PM EST
One would think that’s a cricket match but look again, that’s in basketball, a sports where the Chinese have dominated the region for a number of years. The gigantic upset happened at the 5th FIBA Asia Cup, and adding insult to injury, right at the Chinese homecourt, in Wuhan, China.
Expectedly, India, which is ranked 61st in the FIBA world rankings and 11th in Asia was the underdog entering the game but they pulled the rug underneath the mighty Chinese, which is ranked 12th in the world and No. 1 in the continent.
The win was the first for lone South Asian representative in the tournament, which serves as a qualifier for the bigger, more prestigious FIBA Asia Championship in 2015.
More importantly for India, it was the biggest victory for the country in any international basketball competition.
Behind the upset were Amjyot Singh (13 points), Pratham Singh (13 points), Vishesh Bhriguvanshi (10 points) who all finished in double-figure scoring. Shang Gao had 12 points and Hanlin Dong had 12 and 10 markers, respectively for the losers.
“I don’t know what to say, because this (the win against China) has never happened before,” said Bhriguvanshi, who also ended up with 7 rebounds and 7 assists, via FIBAASIA.net. “But we certainly deserved to win. We worked hard for this.”
The Chinese side offered a bit of an excuse but nonetheless credited the Indians the victory.
“Well, this is a young team. Such results are expected,” said Chinese head coach Wang Huaiyu to the official website of the tournament. “They (India) really deserved the win because they certainly played better than us. But our very purpose is to learn from these mistakes. We win some and we lose some at this stage. But every game is a lesson for us.”
Indeed, lesson learned for the Chinese: Never underestimate anyone. Even if the opponents’ primary sport is played on the cricket field and not the hardcourt.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015