“Lowly” India Embarrasses “Mighty” China in FIBA Asia Cup 2014
By James Patrick Quizon | July 14, 2014 4:46 PM EST
One would think that’s a cricket match but look again, that’s in basketball, a sports where the Chinese have dominated the region for a number of years. The gigantic upset happened at the 5th FIBA Asia Cup, and adding insult to injury, right at the Chinese homecourt, in Wuhan, China.
Expectedly, India, which is ranked 61st in the FIBA world rankings and 11th in Asia was the underdog entering the game but they pulled the rug underneath the mighty Chinese, which is ranked 12th in the world and No. 1 in the continent.
The win was the first for lone South Asian representative in the tournament, which serves as a qualifier for the bigger, more prestigious FIBA Asia Championship in 2015.
More importantly for India, it was the biggest victory for the country in any international basketball competition.
Behind the upset were Amjyot Singh (13 points), Pratham Singh (13 points), Vishesh Bhriguvanshi (10 points) who all finished in double-figure scoring. Shang Gao had 12 points and Hanlin Dong had 12 and 10 markers, respectively for the losers.
“I don’t know what to say, because this (the win against China) has never happened before,” said Bhriguvanshi, who also ended up with 7 rebounds and 7 assists, via FIBAASIA.net. “But we certainly deserved to win. We worked hard for this.”
The Chinese side offered a bit of an excuse but nonetheless credited the Indians the victory.
“Well, this is a young team. Such results are expected,” said Chinese head coach Wang Huaiyu to the official website of the tournament. “They (India) really deserved the win because they certainly played better than us. But our very purpose is to learn from these mistakes. We win some and we lose some at this stage. But every game is a lesson for us.”
Indeed, lesson learned for the Chinese: Never underestimate anyone. Even if the opponents’ primary sport is played on the cricket field and not the hardcourt.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged