Ways to Address Snoring: Causes and Cure
July 14, 2014 4:07 PM EST
Follow these tips to achieve a peaceful night.
1. Diagnose your particular snore
- Do a simple snore test approved by British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Association to determine the cause of snoring
Use caution before you self-treat with over-the-counter sprays until you have checked with your doctor
Sleep deprivation can lead to frying of the brain.
- If you are a mouth breather when you sleep, try Snore Calm Chin-Up Strips and Somni Snore Guard
- If you are nose breather, try Nozovent, Kleerway Nasal Strips, Snoregem, and Breathe Right Nasal Strips
- If you are a tongue bases snorer, try Tomed SomnoGuard AP
2. Lose weight
- The bigger the neck size, the louder the snorer; losing a few pounds can relieve some of the pressure on the internal diameter of the throat, which collapses during sleep for people who snore.
- Losing weight will not only help to stop snoring but it will help to prevent diseases associated with obesity.
3. Change your sleep position
- Lying on your side instead of your back could improve your breathing; there is a good reason you don't want to sleep on your back: in that position, your tongue and soft palate rest against the back of your throat, which can narrow the airway and prevent proper breathing.
4. Take a shower before bed
- It can help open your nasal passages and make it easier to breathe.
5. Avoid Alcohol and Tranquilisers
- Alcohol and tranquilisers are known to be muscle relaxers that can relax your throat and tongue muscles more when you sleep
- Reduce the chances of snoring by refraining from alcohol three to four hours before you sleep
6. Keep your bedroom more humid
- Dryness is often a cause of snoring
- Use a humidifier to keep the breathing channels moist
Note: Early treatment of snoring can prevent the onset of sleep apnea and possible associated health illnesses.
Join the Conversation
- 5 Natural Ways To Prevent Dry Skin In The Winter Season
- Fat Is Exhaled During Weight Loss
- Obese Men Have Higher Chances Of Developing Aggressive Forms Of Prostate Cancer
- Britney Spears Looks Smoldering Hot In A Neon Two Piece Bikini, Reveals Her Exercise And Diet Secrets
- Essential Nutrients Pregnant Mothers Should Have Daily