Ways to Address Snoring: Causes and Cure
July 14, 2014 4:07 PM EST
Follow these tips to achieve a peaceful night.
1. Diagnose your particular snore
- Do a simple snore test approved by British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Association to determine the cause of snoring
Use caution before you self-treat with over-the-counter sprays until you have checked with your doctor
Sleep deprivation can lead to frying of the brain.
- If you are a mouth breather when you sleep, try Snore Calm Chin-Up Strips and Somni Snore Guard
- If you are nose breather, try Nozovent, Kleerway Nasal Strips, Snoregem, and Breathe Right Nasal Strips
- If you are a tongue bases snorer, try Tomed SomnoGuard AP
2. Lose weight
- The bigger the neck size, the louder the snorer; losing a few pounds can relieve some of the pressure on the internal diameter of the throat, which collapses during sleep for people who snore.
- Losing weight will not only help to stop snoring but it will help to prevent diseases associated with obesity.
3. Change your sleep position
- Lying on your side instead of your back could improve your breathing; there is a good reason you don't want to sleep on your back: in that position, your tongue and soft palate rest against the back of your throat, which can narrow the airway and prevent proper breathing.
4. Take a shower before bed
- It can help open your nasal passages and make it easier to breathe.
5. Avoid Alcohol and Tranquilisers
- Alcohol and tranquilisers are known to be muscle relaxers that can relax your throat and tongue muscles more when you sleep
- Reduce the chances of snoring by refraining from alcohol three to four hours before you sleep
6. Keep your bedroom more humid
- Dryness is often a cause of snoring
- Use a humidifier to keep the breathing channels moist
Note: Early treatment of snoring can prevent the onset of sleep apnea and possible associated health illnesses.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Mi Band vs. Fitbit Flex Fitness Band Price And Specifications Comparison [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ABC News Reporter Elizabeth Vargas Befallen with Alcoholism Again, Returns to Rehab
- Cancer Cure: Botox May Help in Treatment of Gastric Cancer
- Pamela Anderson Chickens Out Of Ice Bucket Challenge
- Kourtney Kardashian Reveals Her Healthy and Organic Lifestyle, Talks About Pregnancy Cravings
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop