Ways to Address Snoring: Causes and Cure
July 14, 2014 4:07 PM EST
Follow these tips to achieve a peaceful night.
1. Diagnose your particular snore
- Do a simple snore test approved by British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Association to determine the cause of snoring
Use caution before you self-treat with over-the-counter sprays until you have checked with your doctor
Sleep deprivation can lead to frying of the brain.
- If you are a mouth breather when you sleep, try Snore Calm Chin-Up Strips and Somni Snore Guard
- If you are nose breather, try Nozovent, Kleerway Nasal Strips, Snoregem, and Breathe Right Nasal Strips
- If you are a tongue bases snorer, try Tomed SomnoGuard AP
2. Lose weight
- The bigger the neck size, the louder the snorer; losing a few pounds can relieve some of the pressure on the internal diameter of the throat, which collapses during sleep for people who snore.
- Losing weight will not only help to stop snoring but it will help to prevent diseases associated with obesity.
3. Change your sleep position
- Lying on your side instead of your back could improve your breathing; there is a good reason you don't want to sleep on your back: in that position, your tongue and soft palate rest against the back of your throat, which can narrow the airway and prevent proper breathing.
4. Take a shower before bed
- It can help open your nasal passages and make it easier to breathe.
5. Avoid Alcohol and Tranquilisers
- Alcohol and tranquilisers are known to be muscle relaxers that can relax your throat and tongue muscles more when you sleep
- Reduce the chances of snoring by refraining from alcohol three to four hours before you sleep
6. Keep your bedroom more humid
- Dryness is often a cause of snoring
- Use a humidifier to keep the breathing channels moist
Note: Early treatment of snoring can prevent the onset of sleep apnea and possible associated health illnesses.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation