Ways to Address Snoring: Causes and Cure
July 14, 2014 4:07 PM EST
Follow these tips to achieve a peaceful night.
1. Diagnose your particular snore
- Do a simple snore test approved by British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Association to determine the cause of snoring
Use caution before you self-treat with over-the-counter sprays until you have checked with your doctor
Sleep deprivation can lead to frying of the brain.
- If you are a mouth breather when you sleep, try Snore Calm Chin-Up Strips and Somni Snore Guard
- If you are nose breather, try Nozovent, Kleerway Nasal Strips, Snoregem, and Breathe Right Nasal Strips
- If you are a tongue bases snorer, try Tomed SomnoGuard AP
2. Lose weight
- The bigger the neck size, the louder the snorer; losing a few pounds can relieve some of the pressure on the internal diameter of the throat, which collapses during sleep for people who snore.
- Losing weight will not only help to stop snoring but it will help to prevent diseases associated with obesity.
3. Change your sleep position
- Lying on your side instead of your back could improve your breathing; there is a good reason you don't want to sleep on your back: in that position, your tongue and soft palate rest against the back of your throat, which can narrow the airway and prevent proper breathing.
4. Take a shower before bed
- It can help open your nasal passages and make it easier to breathe.
5. Avoid Alcohol and Tranquilisers
- Alcohol and tranquilisers are known to be muscle relaxers that can relax your throat and tongue muscles more when you sleep
- Reduce the chances of snoring by refraining from alcohol three to four hours before you sleep
6. Keep your bedroom more humid
- Dryness is often a cause of snoring
- Use a humidifier to keep the breathing channels moist
Note: Early treatment of snoring can prevent the onset of sleep apnea and possible associated health illnesses.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Research Finds African Americans and Caribbean Blacks Experiencing Discrimination are at a Greater Risk for Mental Disorders
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown