Ways to Address Snoring: Causes and Cure
July 14, 2014 4:07 PM EST
Follow these tips to achieve a peaceful night.
1. Diagnose your particular snore
- Do a simple snore test approved by British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Association to determine the cause of snoring
Use caution before you self-treat with over-the-counter sprays until you have checked with your doctor
Sleep deprivation can lead to frying of the brain.
- If you are a mouth breather when you sleep, try Snore Calm Chin-Up Strips and Somni Snore Guard
- If you are nose breather, try Nozovent, Kleerway Nasal Strips, Snoregem, and Breathe Right Nasal Strips
- If you are a tongue bases snorer, try Tomed SomnoGuard AP
2. Lose weight
- The bigger the neck size, the louder the snorer; losing a few pounds can relieve some of the pressure on the internal diameter of the throat, which collapses during sleep for people who snore.
- Losing weight will not only help to stop snoring but it will help to prevent diseases associated with obesity.
3. Change your sleep position
- Lying on your side instead of your back could improve your breathing; there is a good reason you don't want to sleep on your back: in that position, your tongue and soft palate rest against the back of your throat, which can narrow the airway and prevent proper breathing.
4. Take a shower before bed
- It can help open your nasal passages and make it easier to breathe.
5. Avoid Alcohol and Tranquilisers
- Alcohol and tranquilisers are known to be muscle relaxers that can relax your throat and tongue muscles more when you sleep
- Reduce the chances of snoring by refraining from alcohol three to four hours before you sleep
6. Keep your bedroom more humid
- Dryness is often a cause of snoring
- Use a humidifier to keep the breathing channels moist
Note: Early treatment of snoring can prevent the onset of sleep apnea and possible associated health illnesses.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola: American Doctors in Liberia Trying Out New Methods
- Low-Carb Diet Helps Reduce Risk of Heart Disease, Aids Weight Loss; A Look At Celebs Who Adopted The Diet
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stay Away From Soda (Watch Video)
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- Coffee Before A Nap Improves Brain Alertness
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones