LeBron James’ Replacement: Luol Deng to Miami Heat
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 14, 2014 3:40 PM EST
This is not exactly what Pat Riley in mind before the offseason but he’s moving forward to try to salvage the next season for the Miami Heat. After extending star Chris Bosh to a max deal, the Riley and the Heat have now signed veteran forward Luol Deng to a $20 million contract for two years.
NBA: Miami Heat at Cleveland Cavaliers
Deng is expected to start at small forward—the position of LeBron James, who jilted Miami in this offseason to re-join the Cleveland Cavaliers.
The $10M/year a deal appears to be a bargain for Deng, who was one of the most sought after free agents this summer. Other top SFs signed like James and Carmelo Anthony, who re-signed with the New York Knicks, are already off the market.
Other suitors reportedly interested in Deng were Texas teams, Dallas and Houston plus the Atlanta Hawks. The Mavericks got Chandler Parsons while the Rockets settled for Trevor Ariza.
Deng’s acquisition came in the heels of other offseason acquisitions for the Heat, which re-signed point guard Mario Chalmers and Chris Andersen. Also joining the Miami are forwards Danny Granger and Josh McRoberts, both of which committed earlier in the offseason.
Miami will be the third team in Deng's 10-year-NBA career after the Chicago Bulls (2004-2014) and the Cleveland Cavaliers (2014-2015). The 29-year-old averaged 16.0 points, 6.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers