Former Yahoo! Employee Slaps Sexual Harassment Case Against Female Executive
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 14, 2014 2:53 PM EST
Charges of sexual harassment have been slapped against a top female executive of Yahoo! in California by one of her former female employees.
Yahoo Mail accounts hacked/Reuters
Nan Shi, former principal software engineer, said she was unjustifiably terminated after she complained about alleged harassment to Yahoo's human resources against Maria Zhang, a senior director of engineering at Yahoo Mobile in California, U.S.
Shi claimed in court documents that Zhang forced her into oral and digital sex on a number of occasions.
Shi alleged Zhang, who was her immediate boss, promised her a "bright future" if she had sex with her. She claimed Zhang "ordered" her to live with her in Yahoo housing in Sunnyvale, California.
When Shi resisted, she claimed Zhang hit back by giving her a bad performance review as well as removed her as lead in a project.
In an interview with the San Jose Mercury News, Shi recalled her sexual liaisons with Zhang. "I was in a deep sleep one morning, sleeping on the sofa because she had taken my bed, when she came in without clothes on, crawled into my blanket, and woke me up, hugging me, kissing my face and neck,'' Shi said. "I woke up and got scared; I was shocked. I said, what are you doing? She said she'd liked me a long time, but I didn't' feel the same toward her. I said come on, we're friends; I love you as a person, but not as a lover.''
Shi said she reported the abuse to Yahoo, but the company did nothing to stop it. Instead, Shi claimed the tech company placed her on unpaid leave before eventually terminating her.
Shi is seeking monetary as well as punitive damages. Yahoo has likewise been named as a defendant in the lawsuit.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More