'Sign Up to Save a Life': Heartfelt Request from Fiancé who Lost Love to Cystic Fibrosis
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 14, 2014 2:53 PM EST
Josh Nelli, fiancé of 23-year-old young Kerry Thorpe, has one message to spread all over the world for sake of his lost love.
Kerry was suffering from cystic fibrosis (CF). After a long wait of two years for a double lung transplantation, she succumbed to death in March before a match was found.
In CF, patients’ lungs become clogged with mucus.
Josh urges everyone to sign up as an organ donor as this would mean someone would get a second chance to live which Kerry didn’t get.
The latest data from NHS Blood and Transplant confirmed “ that despite a 10 percent rise on the number of transplants carried out in 2013-14 on the year prior, the shortage of donors means three people a day still die waiting for their call.”
My message is simple,' he told MailOnline. 'If people register as an organ donor they are registering to one day save someone’s life.
His effort doesn’t end here, Nelli formed a charity in Kerry’s honor, the Kerry Alex Thorpe Trust . He hopes to raise more awareness amongst organ donors to provide more support to the children who are battling this deadly disease.
The charity is now working in collaboration with Ipswich Hospital where Kerry received all her treatment for first 16 years of her life.
NHS wants to increase the donor rate by 50 per cent by end of 2020.
If every one of us think with little more sympathy, it is possible to have greater number of organ donors worldwide, Nelli said.
He added, 'If you’re not a donor, ask yourself why not and at least consider it because the impact you will having is massive. What better gift to others than the second chance at life?
Nellis efforts stressed the message tha with little contribution from all of us, the world can truly be a be a better place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- 232 Teeth Extracted from a Teenager: World Record
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Heart Diseases Can Be Healed with Fat: Study Says
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon