'Sign Up to Save a Life': Heartfelt Request from Fiancé who Lost Love to Cystic Fibrosis
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 14, 2014 2:53 PM EST
Josh Nelli, fiancé of 23-year-old young Kerry Thorpe, has one message to spread all over the world for sake of his lost love.
Kerry was suffering from cystic fibrosis (CF). After a long wait of two years for a double lung transplantation, she succumbed to death in March before a match was found.
In CF, patients’ lungs become clogged with mucus.
Josh urges everyone to sign up as an organ donor as this would mean someone would get a second chance to live which Kerry didn’t get.
The latest data from NHS Blood and Transplant confirmed “ that despite a 10 percent rise on the number of transplants carried out in 2013-14 on the year prior, the shortage of donors means three people a day still die waiting for their call.”
My message is simple,' he told MailOnline. 'If people register as an organ donor they are registering to one day save someone’s life.
His effort doesn’t end here, Nelli formed a charity in Kerry’s honor, the Kerry Alex Thorpe Trust . He hopes to raise more awareness amongst organ donors to provide more support to the children who are battling this deadly disease.
The charity is now working in collaboration with Ipswich Hospital where Kerry received all her treatment for first 16 years of her life.
NHS wants to increase the donor rate by 50 per cent by end of 2020.
If every one of us think with little more sympathy, it is possible to have greater number of organ donors worldwide, Nelli said.
He added, 'If you’re not a donor, ask yourself why not and at least consider it because the impact you will having is massive. What better gift to others than the second chance at life?
Nellis efforts stressed the message tha with little contribution from all of us, the world can truly be a be a better place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage