'Sign Up to Save a Life': Heartfelt Request from Fiancé who Lost Love to Cystic Fibrosis
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 14, 2014 2:53 PM EST
Josh Nelli, fiancé of 23-year-old young Kerry Thorpe, has one message to spread all over the world for sake of his lost love.
Kerry was suffering from cystic fibrosis (CF). After a long wait of two years for a double lung transplantation, she succumbed to death in March before a match was found.
In CF, patients’ lungs become clogged with mucus.
Josh urges everyone to sign up as an organ donor as this would mean someone would get a second chance to live which Kerry didn’t get.
The latest data from NHS Blood and Transplant confirmed “ that despite a 10 percent rise on the number of transplants carried out in 2013-14 on the year prior, the shortage of donors means three people a day still die waiting for their call.”
My message is simple,' he told MailOnline. 'If people register as an organ donor they are registering to one day save someone’s life.
His effort doesn’t end here, Nelli formed a charity in Kerry’s honor, the Kerry Alex Thorpe Trust . He hopes to raise more awareness amongst organ donors to provide more support to the children who are battling this deadly disease.
The charity is now working in collaboration with Ipswich Hospital where Kerry received all her treatment for first 16 years of her life.
NHS wants to increase the donor rate by 50 per cent by end of 2020.
If every one of us think with little more sympathy, it is possible to have greater number of organ donors worldwide, Nelli said.
He added, 'If you’re not a donor, ask yourself why not and at least consider it because the impact you will having is massive. What better gift to others than the second chance at life?
Nellis efforts stressed the message tha with little contribution from all of us, the world can truly be a be a better place.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- One-Year-Old Baby In Melbourne Hospital With Ebola-Like Symptoms
- 'Desperate Housewives' Actress Polly Bergen Died; Suffered Complications From Emphysema
- Condoms Too Small For Uganda Men, Fight Against AIDS Hampered
- Former 'Home And Away' Star Tessa James Battling Cancer
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown