Samsung Galaxy S4 Problems and Solutions: No SIM, Can't Make Calls, Random Reboots, Unable to Download and Won't Turn On
By Ryan Inoyori | July 14, 2014 2:50 PM EST
Some users of Samsung Galaxy S4 have found issues on the SIM function, LTE calls, random reboots and downloading of files. Fortunately, there are solutions to resolve them before resorting to a technician.
Reports have been sent to the DroidGuy about Galaxy S4's problems including undetected SIM card, unable to make LTE calls, random reboots, downloading errors and won't turn on.
SIM Card Not Found
An error message will appear displaying that no SIM is found on the device. It may also happen later on to users who have working SIM cards. In rare cases, the problem is usually caused by the SIM card itself.
1. Check the SIM tray if the SIM card has been placed properly. A small image is embedded near the tray on how a user should insert a SIM card.
2. SIM card itself is expired, corrupted or simply broken. Replacing it is possible but may take some business days depending on territory and network provider.
Unable to Call on 3G or 4G
Galaxy S4 won't allow the user to make 3G or 4G calls for undiscovered reasons. It is usually affected by network strength and configuration.
1. For 4G, set the network mode to 4G by going to the Settings menu or contacting the network provider.
2. For 2G and 3G, make sure that the signal strength is high which can be affected by the locations of both parties on the line.
3. If there is no signal for several minutes, turn on the Airplane Mode then switch it off or reboot the device to regain network strength.
4. In rare cases, a third-party app that affects call function may have caused the glitch.
Unusual reboot from time to time after updating to a new OS version. It can be caused by an app or the firmware installation itself.
1. Perform a factory reset to remove any application which may have caused the problem.
2. Perform a full wipe on the device. Go into Recovery Mode then select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition."
3. ODIN flash tool may also be a solution by reinstalling the firmware manually.
Downloading apps may not be prevented if there is no space left on the Galaxy S4. Apps are usually installed inside the internal storage rather than straight to the microSD card except on selected apps which require additional files online such as games with more than 50 MB in size.
1. Move some apps to the microSD to free up internal storage space.
2. Remove apps which are not being used anymore.
3. Transfer photos, music and video files to a computer.
Won't Turn On
One case of "won't turn on" Galaxy S4 has been reported and related to the electrical hardware property of the device.
1. Remove the battery then press and hold the Power key for one minute.
2. Put the battery back then switch on the smartphone.
3. In case it doesn't work, consult a technician to determine other hardware issues such as charging port, battery unit and others.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop