Even Toddlers Feel What Is Schadenfreude
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 14, 2014 2:46 PM EST
Schadenfreude or obtaining pleasure and joy over someone else’s misfortune, isn't something strictly restricted to adults.
A new report suggests that even a two years old child gets to realise this complicated emotion.
Cali Farmer, 4, (L) cries as she hugs her mother Netta Farmer at California Institute for Women state prison in Chino, California May 5, 2012.
Scientists in University of Haifa, Israel, observed interactions between 35 mothers with their children and other child. Specifically, a mother was asked either to read aloud to herself while her child played with a friend or to read a book out loud, while cuddling the child’s friend. Under both the circumstances, the mother was further instructed to spill water on the book after two minutes.
It was found that when the water got spilled on the book while the mother was reading it to the friend of her child, her own baby turned out to be happy.
But the authors made an important note “the toddlers aren’t laughing at someone’s terrible misfortune, they are happy when what is perceived as an unequal situation ends.”
This study reveals that children are very self focused and practical, said Dr Deborah Gilboa, a parenting expert who was not a part of this work.
In this situation, the children thought that mother only has enough attention for one child, Gilboa suggested.
There is the possibility that children with low self-esteem may feel it more, but more research is needed to shed more light over this concept.
Researches revealed that a baby can show sign of showing sympathy before turning a year old.
Jealousy is one such emotion which needs to be dealt carefully to instill certain values and that is best done by the parents while a child is growing up.
Experts like Gilboa feel parents should play a huge role to provide proper emotional guidance to their children.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Research Finds African Americans and Caribbean Blacks Experiencing Discrimination are at a Greater Risk for Mental Disorders
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet