Even Toddlers Feel What Is Schadenfreude
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 14, 2014 2:46 PM EST
Schadenfreude or obtaining pleasure and joy over someone else’s misfortune, isn't something strictly restricted to adults.
A new report suggests that even a two years old child gets to realise this complicated emotion.
Cali Farmer, 4, (L) cries as she hugs her mother Netta Farmer at California Institute for Women state prison in Chino, California May 5, 2012.
Scientists in University of Haifa, Israel, observed interactions between 35 mothers with their children and other child. Specifically, a mother was asked either to read aloud to herself while her child played with a friend or to read a book out loud, while cuddling the child’s friend. Under both the circumstances, the mother was further instructed to spill water on the book after two minutes.
It was found that when the water got spilled on the book while the mother was reading it to the friend of her child, her own baby turned out to be happy.
But the authors made an important note “the toddlers aren’t laughing at someone’s terrible misfortune, they are happy when what is perceived as an unequal situation ends.”
This study reveals that children are very self focused and practical, said Dr Deborah Gilboa, a parenting expert who was not a part of this work.
In this situation, the children thought that mother only has enough attention for one child, Gilboa suggested.
There is the possibility that children with low self-esteem may feel it more, but more research is needed to shed more light over this concept.
Researches revealed that a baby can show sign of showing sympathy before turning a year old.
Jealousy is one such emotion which needs to be dealt carefully to instill certain values and that is best done by the parents while a child is growing up.
Experts like Gilboa feel parents should play a huge role to provide proper emotional guidance to their children.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- The Mind is the Key in Female Orgasms: Research
- Super Model Andreja Pejic Confirms Identity As Transgender
- Complete Darkness at Night Key Brings Maximum Success of Breast Cancer Therapy: Latest Study Reveals
- 9 Tips For Surviving a Plane Crash
- Former Members Reveal Shocking Details of Abuse Handed Out by Christian Assemblies International (CAI) Leader Scott Williams
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal