Even Toddlers Feel What Is Schadenfreude
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 14, 2014 2:46 PM EST
Schadenfreude or obtaining pleasure and joy over someone else’s misfortune, isn't something strictly restricted to adults.
A new report suggests that even a two years old child gets to realise this complicated emotion.
Cali Farmer, 4, (L) cries as she hugs her mother Netta Farmer at California Institute for Women state prison in Chino, California May 5, 2012.
Scientists in University of Haifa, Israel, observed interactions between 35 mothers with their children and other child. Specifically, a mother was asked either to read aloud to herself while her child played with a friend or to read a book out loud, while cuddling the child’s friend. Under both the circumstances, the mother was further instructed to spill water on the book after two minutes.
It was found that when the water got spilled on the book while the mother was reading it to the friend of her child, her own baby turned out to be happy.
But the authors made an important note “the toddlers aren’t laughing at someone’s terrible misfortune, they are happy when what is perceived as an unequal situation ends.”
This study reveals that children are very self focused and practical, said Dr Deborah Gilboa, a parenting expert who was not a part of this work.
In this situation, the children thought that mother only has enough attention for one child, Gilboa suggested.
There is the possibility that children with low self-esteem may feel it more, but more research is needed to shed more light over this concept.
Researches revealed that a baby can show sign of showing sympathy before turning a year old.
Jealousy is one such emotion which needs to be dealt carefully to instill certain values and that is best done by the parents while a child is growing up.
Experts like Gilboa feel parents should play a huge role to provide proper emotional guidance to their children.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Gene That Stops Spreading of Lung Cancer - Identified by Latest Study.
- Teenage Boys Desire Intimacy and Close Relationships: Study
- Young Women Scientists Face Sexual Harassments While Working on Scientific Field: Study Says
- Breakthrough in HIV Medications: Two Australian Men and One In Rockford 'Cured'
- The Great Australian Sex Census Decodes Sex Technology Habits of Australians
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June