Angelina Jolie Reacts To 'Heroid Addict' Video: Actress to Sue Daily Mail—Reports
By Tanya Diente | July 14, 2014 2:42 PM EST
Following the footsteps of George Clooney, Angelina Jolie reportedly has plans to sue the Daily Mail after it published a video of her strung out on heroin when the actress was still relatively unknown.
Angelina Jolie (R), special envoy of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), visits ethnic Karenni refugee Baw Meh, 75, and Baw Meh's family from Myanmar on World Refugee Day, at Ban Mai Nai Soi refugee camp, located approximately 2 km (1.2 miles) from the Thai-Myanmar border, in the province of Mae Hong Son in this 20 June, 2014 handout photo provided by the UNHCR. Baw Meh arrived at the camp 18 years ago with her husband and children and her grandchildren were born in the camp. World Refugee Day, marked on 20 June each year, is dedicated to raising awareness of the situation of refugees around the world.
It's been a very successful week for the Daily Mail when it comes to A-list celebrity complaints. First, George Clooney had accused the tabloid for fabricating a story about his fiancé's family religion, to which the tabloid had apologised to. Now, Angelina Jolie, another A-list celebrity, has come forward against the tabloid.
According to The Times, the "Maleficent" star has started legal action against the British tabloid for publishing a video of her, which the tabloid claimed was taken during her heroin days in the late 1990s.
The actress and Goodwill Ambassador for UNHCR, believes the Daily Mail has grossly violated her privacy by publishing the video, reports Huffingtonpost, citing The Times.
Screen grabs from the 16-minute video was originally posted by National Enquirer, according to the Daily News. However, the entire video has never been seen by the public before until the Daily Mail published it on its site.
The British tabloid suggested the video was filmed after she bought heroine and cocaine from her drug dealer Franklin Meyer. The tabloid also claimed Meyers had shared the details of the video to National Enquirer.
Meyers claimed Angelina Jolie has been his client for several years. He sold heroin and cocaine to her.
"One day she called me up and wanted me to drop by her place. That was her way of telling me she wanted me to bring her drugs, "he said.
The dealer said he had brought his newly bought camera along when he dropped by and filmed the actress with her consent. Meyers claimed Angelina was talking to her father Jon Voight while he was filming the video.
News about Angelina Jolie's dark days of heroin and cocaine addiction is old news, a source told the NY Daily News. The source claimed the story is "ancient history" with tabloids revisiting it in an attempt at making it into an "exclusive" story.
Angelina Jolie has hinted about her relationship with illegal drugs in the past. During her interview in "60 Minutes" in 2011, she recalled being in "heavier, darker times" which she has survived.
Meanwhile, another tabloid insider revealed to NY Daily News that the video has been re-visited since AMI (National Enquirer's parent company) "wants some buzz" following its decision to move its headquarters from Boca Raton, Florida, to New York.
(Source: YouTube/Newsloop Top News)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Update: Laurina Talks About Her Exit, Jessica’s Acting Background Revealed
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1