Why the Triple Size Zero Weight Loss Trend Should Never Happen
July 14, 2014 1:06 PM EST
The Triple Size Zero weight loss trend surfaced early in July 2014, causing a lot of health and nutrition experts to worry. The objective of the diet is to achieve a triple zero size which primarily requires a 23-inch waist.
A model is seen at the Sao Paulo Fashion Week, July 13, 2006. Anorexia increases a patient's risk of death fivefold, a study said.
The trend has even reached a number of Hollywood stars, but experts are showing concern that the weight loss fad may lead to personality problems and other health-related issues.
Here are the top reasons why it should not -- and never -- happen.
1. It's unrealistic
A size triple zero is five times smaller than the dress that a woman within the ideal weight range would wear. Most six to eight-year-old girls have a 23-inch waist. Although some naturally skinny women do not have a problem maintaining their waistlines past their 20s or 30s, it is still an unrealistic goal that would lead many to starve. A woman wearing a dress size of 10 to 14 needs to lose 50 to 60 pounds of weight just to reach triple zero.
2. It's unhealthy
To achieve such an extreme size, people have to starve themselves or aim for muscle wasting or atrophy. Women may initially do a lot of cardiovascular training to help burn fat. In a short period of time, the body would cannibalise on muscle and other tissue types as well. Women will soon find themselves unable to lift weights or even having the stamina to exercise or perform well at work. Negative calorie intake may also be required to achieve the size, which can lead to organ or system malfunction and make the body prone to various diseases due to a weak immune system.
3. It causes the majority to hate themselves
Only a handful of women with deep pockets and a full arsenal of physical trainers and nutrition experts can achieve such a feat. Those who work regular jobs with limited budgets have other more important matters to be concerned about rather than try to fit into a size triple zero. However, should magazines and TV shows start imploring them to aim for the same look, many will soon find themselves too fat, including those who are already within or below the healthy weight.
People should understand the long term consequences of the triple size zero weight loss trend to avoid early deaths. It's just so wrong on all levels.
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices