Xbox One Demos and Trial Games Now Possible and an Update on Microsoft’s Plans for San Diego Comic Con
By Gel Galang | July 14, 2014 12:43 PM EST
Sampling games so you can decide whether or not you want to play the full version is something that is currently being offered over at the PlayStation Plus even for its next-gen console, the PS4.
A scene from the Xbox One "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare" game is demonstrated during the Xbox E3 Media Briefing at the University of Southern California's Galen Center in Los Angeles, California June 9, 2014. REUTERS/Kevork Djansezian
However, over at the Xbox One camp, this particular feature has not yet been implemented, even when fans are clamouring for it.
This may no longer be the case, as Microsoft displays its effort in continuously listening to fans' requests for the Xbox One. Speaking in an interview with Eurogamer, Microsoft's ID@Xbox's Chris Charla revealed that it will be bringing a feature that has already existed in the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One.
This means that the game trial capability, where games can be downloaded and sampled via the Xbox Live Arcade. If the user likes it, paying will easily bring in the full version of the game without needing to download it another time.
"When Xbox One launched you could do game demos and you could do games. But we didn't have the functionality that was on Xbox 360 - that 'trial' experience where you could download a demo and then convert it [to a full version]," said Charla to Eurogamer.
"But now we do. In the same way that we update the Xbox One OS every month, they update the development system every month - or regularly, anyway."
This means that future titles will possibly be shipped with this new game trial feature. Not only this, but independent developers may now have a higher chance to be discovered, as Microsoft is currently looking for ways to make it easier for gamers to find indie games.
According to the report, this seems to be in line with what the Xbox community wants for the games. This is also good for the indie community of the Xbox One, which used to be close to non-existent with the previously restrictive clauses of the ID@Xbox.
More games are expected to debut 2015 and 2016, as they are currently in development now under ID@Xbox.
San Diego Comic Con and the Xbox One
The San Diego Comic Con is one of the most anticipated for gamers, and Microsoft has already revealed via the Xbox Wire that some of its plans for the console during July 24 to 27.
Most notable of the panels that Microsoft is holding includes the "Halo: Nightfall" first look on July 24 at 11:45am, which will give players more information to prep for the arrival of "Halo 5: Guardians."
There's also a look at the "Halo: The Master Chief Collection" developer panel on Friday, July 25 at 10:15am. Those from 343 Industries will also be talking about the original design and structure of "Halo 2" and what the efforts of the developers have been in the creation of the title.
Check out the other times and events below:
- Halo: Nightfall First-look: July 24, 11:45am - 12:45pm
- The Fusion of Art and Style in Sunset Overdrive: July 24, 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- "Halo: The Master Chief Collection" Development Panel: July 25, 10:15am - 11:15pm
- Digging E.T. - Behind the Scenes of the Xbox Originals Documentary, Atari: Game Over."
If you're in the area, it's worth it to drop by and check what's available at the San Diego Comic Con, as there may be exclusives and features that will be revealed during the event.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- 'GTA V' For PC, PS4, Xbox One: More DLC Updates And Release Confirmed This Fall
- Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire May Not Be The Only Pokemon Game With This ‘Shocking’ Project
- 'Minecraft' 1.8 Update Gets 'Minecraft' 14w34b Snapshot, 'Minecraft PS Vita' Trailer And A Possible Oculus Rift Port
- PS4 News: An Update On Project Morpheus And 2 More Games Coming To It
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. Asus Zenfone 4 Price And Specifications Comparison [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015