A Record for FIFA World Cup 2014, Being Watched in Space
By Afza Fathima | July 14, 2014 12:41 PM EST
Almost the entire world seemed engrossed in the FIFA World Cup Final 2014, that took place on July 13, one man from space too was hoping too catch it. Thirty-eight-year old German astronaut Alexander Gerst from Baden-Wurttemberg, who is currently in the International Space Station, hoped that if there were no emergencies, and if his work load wasn't too much, he wanted to cheer on his national team while they faced Argentina in Rio de Janeiro.
Germany's Mario Goetze (L) celebrates near teammate Thomas Mueller after scoring a goal during extra time in their 2014 World Cup final against Argentina at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro July 13, 2014.
He must be satisfied with the results as the game turned in the favour of his national team. He had earlier watched the Germany-United States match, wearing the German team jersey, in which his team won. It was a crucial match for him as two of his co-astronauts are from United States and when his team won he was delighted.
Before the match, the three of them even had a friendly match in space whose video became viral in YouTube. They had placed a bet on the match and since his team won, the other two, Steve Swanson and Reid Wiseman had to shave off their heads. If he would have lost the bet, he would have had to have a Stars and Stripes flag painted on his head.
Gerst had tweeted on July 8 after Germany defeated Brazil, 7-1, "Will fly over the stadium tonight, although I doubt anyone will be looking up. We'll be looking down in any case ..." He wasn't sure of catching the main action despite the International Space Satellite encircling the planet with the help of satellites that can be used to transmit the games.
Gerst, during a live press conference, said, "I'm sure the best team will win. But you can certainly imagine where my heart lies. Have fun and have peaceful games."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown