A Record for FIFA World Cup 2014, Being Watched in Space
By Afza Fathima | July 14, 2014 12:41 PM EST
Almost the entire world seemed engrossed in the FIFA World Cup Final 2014, that took place on July 13, one man from space too was hoping too catch it. Thirty-eight-year old German astronaut Alexander Gerst from Baden-Wurttemberg, who is currently in the International Space Station, hoped that if there were no emergencies, and if his work load wasn't too much, he wanted to cheer on his national team while they faced Argentina in Rio de Janeiro.
Germany's Mario Goetze (L) celebrates near teammate Thomas Mueller after scoring a goal during extra time in their 2014 World Cup final against Argentina at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro July 13, 2014.
He must be satisfied with the results as the game turned in the favour of his national team. He had earlier watched the Germany-United States match, wearing the German team jersey, in which his team won. It was a crucial match for him as two of his co-astronauts are from United States and when his team won he was delighted.
Before the match, the three of them even had a friendly match in space whose video became viral in YouTube. They had placed a bet on the match and since his team won, the other two, Steve Swanson and Reid Wiseman had to shave off their heads. If he would have lost the bet, he would have had to have a Stars and Stripes flag painted on his head.
Gerst had tweeted on July 8 after Germany defeated Brazil, 7-1, "Will fly over the stadium tonight, although I doubt anyone will be looking up. We'll be looking down in any case ..." He wasn't sure of catching the main action despite the International Space Satellite encircling the planet with the help of satellites that can be used to transmit the games.
Gerst, during a live press conference, said, "I'm sure the best team will win. But you can certainly imagine where my heart lies. Have fun and have peaceful games."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans