A Record for FIFA World Cup 2014, Being Watched in Space
By Afza Fathima | July 14, 2014 12:41 PM EST
Almost the entire world seemed engrossed in the FIFA World Cup Final 2014, that took place on July 13, one man from space too was hoping too catch it. Thirty-eight-year old German astronaut Alexander Gerst from Baden-Wurttemberg, who is currently in the International Space Station, hoped that if there were no emergencies, and if his work load wasn't too much, he wanted to cheer on his national team while they faced Argentina in Rio de Janeiro.
Germany's Mario Goetze (L) celebrates near teammate Thomas Mueller after scoring a goal during extra time in their 2014 World Cup final against Argentina at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro July 13, 2014.
He must be satisfied with the results as the game turned in the favour of his national team. He had earlier watched the Germany-United States match, wearing the German team jersey, in which his team won. It was a crucial match for him as two of his co-astronauts are from United States and when his team won he was delighted.
Before the match, the three of them even had a friendly match in space whose video became viral in YouTube. They had placed a bet on the match and since his team won, the other two, Steve Swanson and Reid Wiseman had to shave off their heads. If he would have lost the bet, he would have had to have a Stars and Stripes flag painted on his head.
Gerst had tweeted on July 8 after Germany defeated Brazil, 7-1, "Will fly over the stadium tonight, although I doubt anyone will be looking up. We'll be looking down in any case ..." He wasn't sure of catching the main action despite the International Space Satellite encircling the planet with the help of satellites that can be used to transmit the games.
Gerst, during a live press conference, said, "I'm sure the best team will win. But you can certainly imagine where my heart lies. Have fun and have peaceful games."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Seals In Antarctica Are Sexually Assaulting King Penguins
- Accidental Electrocution Makes 12-Year-Old Russian Boy ‘Magnetic’ Similar To X-Men Character
- Kid Discovers 100-million-year-old Marine Reptile Fossil
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To Movies On Him
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports