A Record for FIFA World Cup 2014, Being Watched in Space
By Afza Fathima | July 14, 2014 12:41 PM EST
Almost the entire world seemed engrossed in the FIFA World Cup Final 2014, that took place on July 13, one man from space too was hoping too catch it. Thirty-eight-year old German astronaut Alexander Gerst from Baden-Wurttemberg, who is currently in the International Space Station, hoped that if there were no emergencies, and if his work load wasn't too much, he wanted to cheer on his national team while they faced Argentina in Rio de Janeiro.
Germany's Mario Goetze (L) celebrates near teammate Thomas Mueller after scoring a goal during extra time in their 2014 World Cup final against Argentina at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro July 13, 2014.
He must be satisfied with the results as the game turned in the favour of his national team. He had earlier watched the Germany-United States match, wearing the German team jersey, in which his team won. It was a crucial match for him as two of his co-astronauts are from United States and when his team won he was delighted.
Before the match, the three of them even had a friendly match in space whose video became viral in YouTube. They had placed a bet on the match and since his team won, the other two, Steve Swanson and Reid Wiseman had to shave off their heads. If he would have lost the bet, he would have had to have a Stars and Stripes flag painted on his head.
Gerst had tweeted on July 8 after Germany defeated Brazil, 7-1, "Will fly over the stadium tonight, although I doubt anyone will be looking up. We'll be looking down in any case ..." He wasn't sure of catching the main action despite the International Space Satellite encircling the planet with the help of satellites that can be used to transmit the games.
Gerst, during a live press conference, said, "I'm sure the best team will win. But you can certainly imagine where my heart lies. Have fun and have peaceful games."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- A Fish That Walks; Scientists Find A Fish That Does Better On Land Than Water[Video]
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps