A Record for FIFA World Cup 2014, Being Watched in Space
By Afza Fathima | July 14, 2014 12:41 PM EST
Almost the entire world seemed engrossed in the FIFA World Cup Final 2014, that took place on July 13, one man from space too was hoping too catch it. Thirty-eight-year old German astronaut Alexander Gerst from Baden-Wurttemberg, who is currently in the International Space Station, hoped that if there were no emergencies, and if his work load wasn't too much, he wanted to cheer on his national team while they faced Argentina in Rio de Janeiro.
Germany's Mario Goetze (L) celebrates near teammate Thomas Mueller after scoring a goal during extra time in their 2014 World Cup final against Argentina at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro July 13, 2014.
He must be satisfied with the results as the game turned in the favour of his national team. He had earlier watched the Germany-United States match, wearing the German team jersey, in which his team won. It was a crucial match for him as two of his co-astronauts are from United States and when his team won he was delighted.
Before the match, the three of them even had a friendly match in space whose video became viral in YouTube. They had placed a bet on the match and since his team won, the other two, Steve Swanson and Reid Wiseman had to shave off their heads. If he would have lost the bet, he would have had to have a Stars and Stripes flag painted on his head.
Gerst had tweeted on July 8 after Germany defeated Brazil, 7-1, "Will fly over the stadium tonight, although I doubt anyone will be looking up. We'll be looking down in any case ..." He wasn't sure of catching the main action despite the International Space Satellite encircling the planet with the help of satellites that can be used to transmit the games.
Gerst, during a live press conference, said, "I'm sure the best team will win. But you can certainly imagine where my heart lies. Have fun and have peaceful games."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop