Jeans for Over $1,200, Shredded by Zoo Animals [Video]
By Afza Fathima | July 14, 2014 12:16 PM EST
Mineko Club are throwing tires wrapped with denim to lions, tigers and bears at the Kamine Zoo in Hitachi City in Japan to raise money for conservation. This is a brilliant strategy by the Japanese volunteer group. Japan always seems to be coming with something new and this time, they've combined fashion with a cause, animal conservation.
Bengal tigers playing at the zoo in Metro Manila, Philippines July 11, 2014
When the tires wrapped in denim are thrown at the animals, the animals first move and natural instinct is to immediately attack the denim with their claws and teeth. The fabric is retrieved by the Mineko Club, which they then sew and make into a pair of designer jeans called Zoo Jeans, so-called custom made by these great animals.
Three models of the 'Zoo Jeans' are made available: the lion model named L1 and L2, the tiger model named T1 and the bear model called B1. The tiger model seems to be the most popular one as when the jeans were auctioned with a starting price of $492, the tiger model got over 15 bids with the highest bid being made at $1,200. The auction went online on July 7 at Yahoo Japan's auction site.
The starting price of the lion jeans, L1 and L2, and bear jeans are at $420 but seems like there are not too many takers for it as they are still waiting for their first bid.
Described as a volunteer group of local residents, the Mineko Club is working towards "revivifying the Makine Zoo" by constantly organising events and selling "animal-themed" products by which they mean the denims attacked by the wild animals.
The English translation of Mineko Club's Web site reads the following:
"Zoo Jeans are the only jeans on earth designed by dangerous animals."
"We first take their favourite playthings - old tires and giant rubber balls - and wrap them in sheets of denim.
"Then we return them to the animals and let nature run its course.
"The animals roar, gnaw and claw at their toys, and when they're done we gather up what's left of the damaged denim. It is from this unique fabric that we make the jeans."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones