FIFA Corruption Tweets Germany Win by Mario Götze Goal Hours before World Cup Final: Hoax Debunked
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 14, 2014 11:57 AM EST
If you see a tweet just after the world cup final that said "Germany will win" several hours before the final actually happened, you may think it was from a Germany fan. However, when you see that the account-name is "FIFA Corruption," you sit up and investigate further.
Germany's players lift the World Cup trophy as they celebrate their 2014 World Cup final win against Argentina at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro July 13, 2014.
FIFA Corruption tweeted much before the final, at least 16-17 hours back, that Germany would win. While that tweet is still ignorable, there some other tweets which may leave you baffled. Other tweets from FIFA Corruption include "There will be a goal in the second half of" the extra time," "Gotze will score" and "Germany will win at ET."
You may already have started speculating if this is another instance of the dishonesty of the organisation which has recently been accused of major corruption. You may wonder if FIFA has been exposed once again. Especially if you cheered for Argentina in the final, you may start cursing FIFA and demand a rematch.
However, you must know that that is not going to happen. Argentina will have to wait for Russia 2018 as the tweets are apparently fake. You may still wonder how those can be fake if the timeline shows that those were posted several hours back. Here is what the account-holder did to misguide people.
Creating an account with a "catchy" title
The name "FIFA Corruption" is bound to attract attention as there are many who do not like the way the organisation works. Recent controversies related to Qatar hosting the 2022 World Cup are still fresh and yet to be proved wrong. The title itself may have encouraged 33.3K users to follow it.
Tweeting all the possibilities
It tweeted all the possibilities of the match. The other tweets included: "Argentina will win in penalties," "Kroos will score," "Lahm will score" and "Palacio will score."
Deleting irrelevant tweets
While the world cup final happened, there were several possibilities which were no more relevant. For example, "Argentina will win in penalties" was irrelevant after Germany won it. Deleting every other irrelevant tweets and keeping only what happened in the match make the account look extremely legitimate.
Gotze will score
— FIFA Corruption (@FifNdhs) July 13, 2014
If you're still in two minds, HERE is a snapshot of the earlier tweets by FIFA Corruption.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks