Emmy Nominations 2014: Orange Is The New Black Leads Comedy, Fargo Tops Miniseries, Game of Thrones Takes Drama
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | July 14, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Hollywood was buzzing with the announcement of nominees for the 66th Primetime Emmys early early Thursday morning of July 10 (Thursday evening in Australia) which was held at the Television Academy's Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre. The prison dramedy "Orange is the New Black" lead the category on Comedy Series with 12 nominations. The dark comedy-crime drama "Fargo" topped the Miniseries category with 18 nominations. While the fan favorite "Game of Thrones" snagged 19 nominations and took the lead for the Drama category.
Television Academy Chairman and Chief Executive Bruce Rosenblum (C), actress Mindy Kaling (L) and television host Carson Daly announce the nominees for Outstanding Drama Series during the nominations announcement for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards in North Hollywood, California July 10, 2014.
From the list of nominees listed in the Emmys Web site, "Orange is the New Black" made it to the list of nominees for Outstanding Comedy series along with The Big Bang Theory, Louie, Modern Family, Silicon Valley, and Veep. It was likewise nominated for Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series; Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series; and Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series.
In the same dramedy, lead actress Taylor Schilling, who portrayed the role of Piper Chapman, was nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. Kate Mulgrew, who played the role of Galina "Red" Reznikov, made it to the nominees for Outstanding Supporting Actress. Guest actresses Laverne Cox, who played the role as Sophia Burset, as well as Uz Aduba, who played the role of Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren, made it to the Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series.
Meanwhile, FX Network's "Fargo" was nominated for the category on Outstanding Miniseries along with American Horror Story: Coven, Bonnie & Clyde, Luther, Treme, and The White Queen. Its lead actor Billy Bob Thornton who played the role of Lorne Malvo and Martin Freeman who played the role of Lester Nygaard made it to the list of Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie. Allison Tolman who played the role of Molly Solverson snagged the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie. Colin Hanks who portrayed the role of Deputy Gus Grimly was nominated for the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie.
"Fargo" also made it to the list of Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special; Outstanding Makeup for a Miniseries or Movie (Non-Prosthetic); Outstanding Music Composition for a Miniseries, Movie or Special (Original Dramatic Score); Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Miniseries or a Movie. Regis Kimble as Editor with Skip MacDonald and Bridget Durnford for Edited by made it to the Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Miniseries, or a Movie.
The three casting directors Rachel Tenner, Jackie Lind and Stephanie Gorin snagged the list for Outstanding Casting for a Miniseries, Movie or Special. The Director of Photography Dana Gonzales also made it to the list of Outstanding Cinematography for a Miniseries or Movie. Adam Bernstein and Colin Bucksey as Directed by were included in the list of Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special.
For the drama category, HBO's "Game of Thrones" was nominated for Outstanding Drama Series along with , Breaking Bad, Downtown Abbey, House of Cards, Mad Men, and True Detective. It also made it to the nominations for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series; Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single Camera Series; Outstanding Makeup for a Single Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic); and Outstanding Music Composition for a Series (Original Dramatic Score). It was also listed in the Outstanding Art Direction for a Contemporary or Fantasy Series (Single Camera); Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup for a Series, Miniseries; Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series; and Outstanding Sound Editing for a Drama Series. The film's Director of Photography Jonathan Freeman and Anette Haelligk also made it to the nominations for Outstanding Cinematography for a Single Camera Series. "Game of Thrones" was also nominated for Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour); Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series; Outstanding Special and Visual Effects; Outstanding Costumes for a Series; Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Miniseries or Movie; and Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series.
In the individual race, Peter Dinklage who portrayed the role of Tyrion Lannister was nominated as Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Dramatic Series while the actress Diana Rigg who played the both roles of Lady Olenna Tyrell and Olenna Tyrell made it to the list of Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series. Lena Headey who played the role of Cersei Lannister was also nominated for Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.
To see the complete list of nominees, please see the Emmy Awards Web site here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert