Emmy Nominations 2014: Orange Is The New Black Leads Comedy, Fargo Tops Miniseries, Game of Thrones Takes Drama
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | July 14, 2014 10:05 AM EST
Hollywood was buzzing with the announcement of nominees for the 66th Primetime Emmys early early Thursday morning of July 10 (Thursday evening in Australia) which was held at the Television Academy's Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre. The prison dramedy "Orange is the New Black" lead the category on Comedy Series with 12 nominations. The dark comedy-crime drama "Fargo" topped the Miniseries category with 18 nominations. While the fan favorite "Game of Thrones" snagged 19 nominations and took the lead for the Drama category.
Television Academy Chairman and Chief Executive Bruce Rosenblum (C), actress Mindy Kaling (L) and television host Carson Daly announce the nominees for Outstanding Drama Series during the nominations announcement for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards in North Hollywood, California July 10, 2014.
From the list of nominees listed in the Emmys Web site, "Orange is the New Black" made it to the list of nominees for Outstanding Comedy series along with The Big Bang Theory, Louie, Modern Family, Silicon Valley, and Veep. It was likewise nominated for Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Comedy Series; Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series; and Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series.
In the same dramedy, lead actress Taylor Schilling, who portrayed the role of Piper Chapman, was nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. Kate Mulgrew, who played the role of Galina "Red" Reznikov, made it to the nominees for Outstanding Supporting Actress. Guest actresses Laverne Cox, who played the role as Sophia Burset, as well as Uz Aduba, who played the role of Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren, made it to the Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series.
Meanwhile, FX Network's "Fargo" was nominated for the category on Outstanding Miniseries along with American Horror Story: Coven, Bonnie & Clyde, Luther, Treme, and The White Queen. Its lead actor Billy Bob Thornton who played the role of Lorne Malvo and Martin Freeman who played the role of Lester Nygaard made it to the list of Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie. Allison Tolman who played the role of Molly Solverson snagged the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie. Colin Hanks who portrayed the role of Deputy Gus Grimly was nominated for the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie.
"Fargo" also made it to the list of Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special; Outstanding Makeup for a Miniseries or Movie (Non-Prosthetic); Outstanding Music Composition for a Miniseries, Movie or Special (Original Dramatic Score); Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Miniseries or a Movie. Regis Kimble as Editor with Skip MacDonald and Bridget Durnford for Edited by made it to the Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Miniseries, or a Movie.
The three casting directors Rachel Tenner, Jackie Lind and Stephanie Gorin snagged the list for Outstanding Casting for a Miniseries, Movie or Special. The Director of Photography Dana Gonzales also made it to the list of Outstanding Cinematography for a Miniseries or Movie. Adam Bernstein and Colin Bucksey as Directed by were included in the list of Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special.
For the drama category, HBO's "Game of Thrones" was nominated for Outstanding Drama Series along with , Breaking Bad, Downtown Abbey, House of Cards, Mad Men, and True Detective. It also made it to the nominations for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series; Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single Camera Series; Outstanding Makeup for a Single Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic); and Outstanding Music Composition for a Series (Original Dramatic Score). It was also listed in the Outstanding Art Direction for a Contemporary or Fantasy Series (Single Camera); Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup for a Series, Miniseries; Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series; and Outstanding Sound Editing for a Drama Series. The film's Director of Photography Jonathan Freeman and Anette Haelligk also made it to the nominations for Outstanding Cinematography for a Single Camera Series. "Game of Thrones" was also nominated for Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour); Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series; Outstanding Special and Visual Effects; Outstanding Costumes for a Series; Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Miniseries or Movie; and Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series.
In the individual race, Peter Dinklage who portrayed the role of Tyrion Lannister was nominated as Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Dramatic Series while the actress Diana Rigg who played the both roles of Lady Olenna Tyrell and Olenna Tyrell made it to the list of Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series. Lena Headey who played the role of Cersei Lannister was also nominated for Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.
To see the complete list of nominees, please see the Emmy Awards Web site here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate