World Cup 2014: Singapore Anti-Gambling Ad Hints of Germany Win (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 14, 2014 9:01 AM EST
An anti-gambling advertisement in Singapore appears to have correctly predicted the outcome of the Wednesday, July 9, game between Germany and Brazil which ended with the score of 7-1 as well as the finals on Sunday between Germany and Argentina with the score of 1-0. The advertising campaign covers both video and posters.
The video ran for 34 seconds and featured a bunch of Singaporean boys talking about the World Cup tournament, with one saying, "I hope Germany wins. My dad bet all my savings on them. The poster version showed only two boys with the same kid expressing his anti-gambling sentiment via a thought balloon. The video was posted a month ago and had since got almost 800,000 hits.
The National Council on Problem Gambling commented that the advert was timed with the excitement and hype generated by the World Cup tournament in Brazil as spectators speculate who would win in matches by betting on their favourite teams.
The spokesman of the council explained, "Selecting Germany injected a sense of realism in our messaging, since no one will bet on a potentially losing team ... At the end of the day, win or lose, the dangers of problem gambling and the potential anxiety and pain that loved ones go through, remain unchanged."
However, because of the "prophetic" nature of the ad, Singaporean Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin commented via a Facebook feed, "Looks like the boy's father who bet all his savings on Germany will be laughing all the way to the bank!"
Minister for Trade and Industry Teo Ser Luck added, "Germany beat Brazil 7-1! Brazil need to find out what went wrong and I need to find the script-writer for the gambling control advertisement."
Among the witty comments on the YouTube video was from DavidUngerMusic who wrote, "After today's game, I think that I should start gambling."
Mist8k commented, "I wish I could laugh at this but knowing a few gambling addicts myself I know his dad would just blow all his money he won (even if it was millions) and then probably end up getting shot by a drug dealer."
A British chap also won big when he correctly bet on the 7-1 score.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks