World Cup 2014: Singapore Anti-Gambling Ad Hints of Germany Win (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 14, 2014 9:01 AM EST
An anti-gambling advertisement in Singapore appears to have correctly predicted the outcome of the Wednesday, July 9, game between Germany and Brazil which ended with the score of 7-1 as well as the finals on Sunday between Germany and Argentina with the score of 1-0. The advertising campaign covers both video and posters.
The video ran for 34 seconds and featured a bunch of Singaporean boys talking about the World Cup tournament, with one saying, "I hope Germany wins. My dad bet all my savings on them. The poster version showed only two boys with the same kid expressing his anti-gambling sentiment via a thought balloon. The video was posted a month ago and had since got almost 800,000 hits.
The National Council on Problem Gambling commented that the advert was timed with the excitement and hype generated by the World Cup tournament in Brazil as spectators speculate who would win in matches by betting on their favourite teams.
The spokesman of the council explained, "Selecting Germany injected a sense of realism in our messaging, since no one will bet on a potentially losing team ... At the end of the day, win or lose, the dangers of problem gambling and the potential anxiety and pain that loved ones go through, remain unchanged."
However, because of the "prophetic" nature of the ad, Singaporean Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin commented via a Facebook feed, "Looks like the boy's father who bet all his savings on Germany will be laughing all the way to the bank!"
Minister for Trade and Industry Teo Ser Luck added, "Germany beat Brazil 7-1! Brazil need to find out what went wrong and I need to find the script-writer for the gambling control advertisement."
Among the witty comments on the YouTube video was from DavidUngerMusic who wrote, "After today's game, I think that I should start gambling."
Mist8k commented, "I wish I could laugh at this but knowing a few gambling addicts myself I know his dad would just blow all his money he won (even if it was millions) and then probably end up getting shot by a drug dealer."
A British chap also won big when he correctly bet on the 7-1 score.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares