Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Ditches Barclays Center in Favour of MGM Grand; Golden Boy Is Still Promoter of Sept 13 Rematch With Maidana
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 14, 2014 8:39 AM EST
In confirming that he will have a rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on May 13, unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather also made a U-turn and opted for MGM Grand as venue for the fight, not at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York as he previously hinted.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. punches at Marcos Maidana of Argentina during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The change could have been the specter of facing a tax investigation from the IRS, similar to the woes of rival Manny Pacquiao, who is accused by the Philippine taxman of owing the government billions of pesos in back taxes. That's because in securing a promotional licence from the New York State Athletic Commission, he would be required to submit tax documents, which his fights in Las Vegas use the promotional licence of Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotion.
Money May broke off recently with Golden Boy after his good friend Richard Schaefer quit from Golden Boy, but the promotion company would still continue to promote Mayweather's Sept 13 bout, according to a tweet by Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports.
The Sept 13 fight would be the 10th consecutive fight of Mayweather at MGM Grand, even if Barclays CEO Brett Yomark has been trying Money May to change venue.
If the speculations are true based on the hint of Mayweather that he would have a surprise for boxing fans in May 2015, there is a possibility that the boxer's next bout won't be in MGM Grand anymore, but not in Barclays. It could be in Dubai and his opponent could be Pacquiao.
To promote the Sept 13 fight, Mayweather and Maidana would go on a five-city kick-off tour this week as follows:
Monday, July 14 - Times Square, New York City, 1 pm press conference and DAR Constitution Hall, Washington, DC, 7:15 pm press conference
Tuesday, July 15 - Auditorium Theater, Chicago, Illinois, 12 noon press conference and Six Flags Fiesta, San Antonio, Texas 7 pm press conference
Thursday, July 17 - Pershing Square, LA, California, 1 pm press conference
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier