Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Ditches Barclays Center in Favour of MGM Grand; Golden Boy Is Still Promoter of Sept 13 Rematch With Maidana
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 14, 2014 8:39 AM EST
In confirming that he will have a rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on May 13, unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather also made a U-turn and opted for MGM Grand as venue for the fight, not at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York as he previously hinted.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. punches at Marcos Maidana of Argentina during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The change could have been the specter of facing a tax investigation from the IRS, similar to the woes of rival Manny Pacquiao, who is accused by the Philippine taxman of owing the government billions of pesos in back taxes. That's because in securing a promotional licence from the New York State Athletic Commission, he would be required to submit tax documents, which his fights in Las Vegas use the promotional licence of Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotion.
Money May broke off recently with Golden Boy after his good friend Richard Schaefer quit from Golden Boy, but the promotion company would still continue to promote Mayweather's Sept 13 bout, according to a tweet by Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports.
The Sept 13 fight would be the 10th consecutive fight of Mayweather at MGM Grand, even if Barclays CEO Brett Yomark has been trying Money May to change venue.
If the speculations are true based on the hint of Mayweather that he would have a surprise for boxing fans in May 2015, there is a possibility that the boxer's next bout won't be in MGM Grand anymore, but not in Barclays. It could be in Dubai and his opponent could be Pacquiao.
To promote the Sept 13 fight, Mayweather and Maidana would go on a five-city kick-off tour this week as follows:
Monday, July 14 - Times Square, New York City, 1 pm press conference and DAR Constitution Hall, Washington, DC, 7:15 pm press conference
Tuesday, July 15 - Auditorium Theater, Chicago, Illinois, 12 noon press conference and Six Flags Fiesta, San Antonio, Texas 7 pm press conference
Thursday, July 17 - Pershing Square, LA, California, 1 pm press conference
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks