Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Ditches Barclays Center in Favour of MGM Grand; Golden Boy Is Still Promoter of Sept 13 Rematch With Maidana
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 14, 2014 8:39 AM EST
In confirming that he will have a rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on May 13, unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather also made a U-turn and opted for MGM Grand as venue for the fight, not at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York as he previously hinted.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. punches at Marcos Maidana of Argentina during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The change could have been the specter of facing a tax investigation from the IRS, similar to the woes of rival Manny Pacquiao, who is accused by the Philippine taxman of owing the government billions of pesos in back taxes. That's because in securing a promotional licence from the New York State Athletic Commission, he would be required to submit tax documents, which his fights in Las Vegas use the promotional licence of Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotion.
Money May broke off recently with Golden Boy after his good friend Richard Schaefer quit from Golden Boy, but the promotion company would still continue to promote Mayweather's Sept 13 bout, according to a tweet by Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports.
The Sept 13 fight would be the 10th consecutive fight of Mayweather at MGM Grand, even if Barclays CEO Brett Yomark has been trying Money May to change venue.
If the speculations are true based on the hint of Mayweather that he would have a surprise for boxing fans in May 2015, there is a possibility that the boxer's next bout won't be in MGM Grand anymore, but not in Barclays. It could be in Dubai and his opponent could be Pacquiao.
To promote the Sept 13 fight, Mayweather and Maidana would go on a five-city kick-off tour this week as follows:
Monday, July 14 - Times Square, New York City, 1 pm press conference and DAR Constitution Hall, Washington, DC, 7:15 pm press conference
Tuesday, July 15 - Auditorium Theater, Chicago, Illinois, 12 noon press conference and Six Flags Fiesta, San Antonio, Texas 7 pm press conference
Thursday, July 17 - Pershing Square, LA, California, 1 pm press conference
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect