HBO Reveals Game of Thrones Future and George RR Martin Gives the Finger to Questions About His Health
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 14, 2014 8:05 AM EST
The popular HBO fantasy series "Game of Thrones" has just concluded its fourth season with stellar reviews and ever-rising ratings. With the fifth season ready to start production soon and the confirmation of the sixth season as well, questions have been raised about the future of the show and ultimately its ending. HBO executives weigh in on what's in store for the series and the possibility of concluding everything with a feature length film. Author George RR Martin also has strong words for the people who think he may not live long enough to finish the books.
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this file photo from March 18, 2014. HBO's medieval thriller led all nominees with 19 as the 2014 Emmy nominations were announced July 10, 2014.
HBO bigwigs Michael Lombardo and Richard Plepler spoke to the press at the Television Critics Association Press Tour after the announcement of the nominees for the 2014 Prime Time Emmy Awards in which "Game of Thrones" received 19 nominations, the most number of nods for a series this year.
"Game of Thrones" is based on the fantasy book series by author George RR Martin entitled collectively as "A Song of Ice and Fire." At the moment, five titles have been released: "A Game of Thrones,""A Clash of Kings," "Storm of Swords.""A Feast for Crows" and "Dance With Dragons."
The series has concluded four seasons and has been confirmed until the sixth season with the story line at present encompassing different stages in the book series. Some characters have just passed book three while others are already into book 5. The sixth installment of the book is still being written but with no projected release date. With the series slowly but surely catching up, the HBO executives said that they are not concerned about losing material. They said that George RR Martin is an integral part of planning the series and they will figure out what to do whether or not he is actually finished with the next book installment.
Despite being renewed so far only up until the sixth season, Lombardo and Plepler also stated that they are no plans about ending the series after the sixth season airs. They also shut down speculations that a movie will be produced to create a big bang exit. They didn't say that it would not happen but did say that there are no talks going in that direction at the moment.
Meanwhile, reports have surfaced recently about concerns on George RR Martin's health and his ability to finish the books. His untimely demise, God forbid would bring an end to a story that is as yet largely unfinished and still has many questions left to be answered. In response to the speculations, Martin says he is offended by the ideas that people have about his health and impending death. In an interview with a Swiss newspaper, Tages Anzeiger, he says the F-word to those people and in the end flashes the finger to the camera before chuckling candidly about it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast