Pau Gasol to Choose Chicago Bulls Over San Antonio Spurs, Oklahoma City Thunder
By James Patrick Quizon | July 12, 2014 10:04 PM EST
Pau Gasol has apparently made his choice and he wants to play with in Chicago where he’ll join Joakim Noah, Derrick Rose and the rest of the Bulls.
NBA: Charlotte Bobcats at Los Angeles Lakers
The Spanish big man has mentioned that he wants to sign with a contender and the Bulls are one with the 2014 NBA Defensive Player of the Year in Noah and a come-backing former Most Valuable Player in Rose.
Adrian Wojnarowksi first broke the news on Twitter:
Pau Gasol, Chicago working to complete an agreement, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 12, 2014
Gasol also tweeted about the development but did not leave any clue on which team he has picked:
Chicago is coached by defensive guru Tom Thibodeau, one of the top coaches in the league and has a slew of reliable role players in Taj Gibson, Jimmy Butler and Tony Snell among others.
However, the move would signify that the Bulls would be out for the running or free agent Carmelo Anthony of the New York Knicks unless they amnesty veteran power forward Carlos Boozer’s $16.8 million contract and Melo takes a pay cut.
Gasol’ scoring, rebounding and playmaking will definitely help the Bulls, which were one of the consistent top defensive teams the past years but has always struggled on offense.
Gasol averaged 17.4 points, 9.7 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.5 blocked shots in 60 games for the Los Angeles Lakers last season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Hailed Swiss Sportsman Of The Year, Beating Stan Wawrinka
- Hoax Alert: Floyd Mayweather Didn’t Die Of Drug Overdose
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider