LG Reported to be Developing Windows Based Smartphone, TV, PC
By Sovan Mandal | July 12, 2014 3:02 PM EST
LG Electronics is believed to be developing a new smartphone based on the Windows Phone platform. This bit of information comes from a Microsoft employee at South Korea who inadvertently spilled the beans in a LinkedIn post. Apart from a smartphone, a TV and a PC is also believed to be in the works, as per the post.
The Microsoft logo is seen at their offices in Bucharest in this file photo from March 20, 2013.
Microsoft had already announced LG as one of their hardware partners during the company's BUILD 2014 conference held earlier in the year. However, any concrete development on this has been missing so far apart from intermittent rumors of the company getting started with its Windows phone venture. However, this time it seems something concrete is shaping up, coming as it is from a Microsoft insider.
What is even more interesting is that the program manager has also named two Microsoft products namely Windows Phone Blue and Windows Threshold, reports Ubergizmo. The former refers to Windows 8.1, the latest iteration of the Windows Phone platform codenamed Cyan. Similarly, Windows Threshold refers to Windows 9 that is currently under development at Microsoft and is expected to be released by early 2015. Windows 9 is billed as the next gen operating system from Microsoft that will bridge the gap between its Windows Phone platform and Windows thereby creating a more seamless and unifying user experience across devices.
LG's involvement with Windows comes at a time when the South Korean conglomerate is engaged almost neck deep with Android. They have on offer some of the best Android devices right now in the premium category such as the G2 or the even bigger G2 Pro. They have even launched a smartwatch based on the Android Wear platform which has already gone on sale worldwide.
Microsoft off late has been putting in a lot of effort to push for greater uptake of its Windows Phone platform. That's easier said than done considering the huge clout that Android and iOS currently enjoy in the mobile devices segment. Microsoft has also been according a lot of importance to the developing markets such as India and Brazil, both of which has been named by AdDuplex as the world's second and third largest market for Windows Phone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance