Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 12, 2014 9:30 AM EST
A tweet that he is leaving for the Middle East to join jihadist led Philippine police to capture Australian Musa Cerantonio, 29, a religious extremist and supporter of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in Cebu Province on Friday, July 11.
His tweet read: "Al-Hamdulillah (Thanks to God) I have arrived in the land of of Khilafah (caliphate) in Ash-Sham (the Levant)! May Allah honour all Muslims during the blessed time with His obedience."
The post in Twitter provided Philippine police, which had been tracking the former Catholic who converted to Islam, enough information to track and arrest him. Cerantonio is believed to have been hiding in the Philippines for about one year.
Cerantonio, who also posted newsfeeds on Facebook to urge Muslims to kill Western leaders, was arrested in a village outside Cebu City with a Filipina who was also detained for questioning. He is wanted by Australian federal police for violating the country's Foreign Incursions At that bans citizens from fighting with foreign paramilitary organisations, including recruitment activities. His female companion, Jean Navarro Montayre, 32, is also wanted by the local police for a different case.
The police recovered several SIM cards, mobile phones, electronic devices and more than 14,000 Philippine money and several foreign currencies. He was brought to Manila for questioning by the Philippine National Police. Prior to his arrest, the police was searching for Cerantonio to serve a warrant of deportation issued by the Bureau of Immigration.
Police Senior Superintendent Conrado Capa admitted that when the local police arrested the Australian national, they found no evidence linking him to any terror group.
Cerantonio talks about how he came to join Island in this video.
YouTube/Worship only Allah
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family