Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 12, 2014 9:30 AM EST
A tweet that he is leaving for the Middle East to join jihadist led Philippine police to capture Australian Musa Cerantonio, 29, a religious extremist and supporter of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in Cebu Province on Friday, July 11.
His tweet read: "Al-Hamdulillah (Thanks to God) I have arrived in the land of of Khilafah (caliphate) in Ash-Sham (the Levant)! May Allah honour all Muslims during the blessed time with His obedience."
The post in Twitter provided Philippine police, which had been tracking the former Catholic who converted to Islam, enough information to track and arrest him. Cerantonio is believed to have been hiding in the Philippines for about one year.
Cerantonio, who also posted newsfeeds on Facebook to urge Muslims to kill Western leaders, was arrested in a village outside Cebu City with a Filipina who was also detained for questioning. He is wanted by Australian federal police for violating the country's Foreign Incursions At that bans citizens from fighting with foreign paramilitary organisations, including recruitment activities. His female companion, Jean Navarro Montayre, 32, is also wanted by the local police for a different case.
The police recovered several SIM cards, mobile phones, electronic devices and more than 14,000 Philippine money and several foreign currencies. He was brought to Manila for questioning by the Philippine National Police. Prior to his arrest, the police was searching for Cerantonio to serve a warrant of deportation issued by the Bureau of Immigration.
Police Senior Superintendent Conrado Capa admitted that when the local police arrested the Australian national, they found no evidence linking him to any terror group.
Cerantonio talks about how he came to join Island in this video.
YouTube/Worship only Allah
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111SELECT latest_id FROM site_artdata WHERE type='ib_articles_day2ago' Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111SELECT tid as num FROM biztimes_stats.stats_articles_au_pop WHERE maincat_id='6' AND outkey='Y' AND tid> ORDER BY hits DESC LIMIT 15Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111SELECT article_id as num FROM ib_categories_index WHERE tid=6 ORDER BY article_id DESC LIMIT 5
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine