Jeremy Lin Traded to the Los Angeles Lakers
By James Patrick Quizon | July 12, 2014 5:18 AM EST
Thanks to LeBron James finally making and announcing his decision, the free agency dominos are starting to fall. The first major move is Jeremy Lin being traded by the Houston Rockets to the Los Angeles Lakers.
Marc Stein of ESPN first broke the story via Twitter:
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 11, 2014
Lakers would make sense as destination with cap space to take on Jeremy Lin's expiring contract & without cutting into any of 2015 cap space — Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 11, 2014
According to RealGM.com Lakers will receive the Rockets’ future first round pick and other draft considerations.
Lin’s salary dump was expected early in free agency after reports that the Rockets are targeting big man Chris Bosh and signing him to a max contract. The Rockets already had a deal in place to dump the salary of Omer Asik and now Lin is following the same route.
Even with Lin under contract, the Lakers can still have a big cap space left if they renounce the rights to free agents Pau Gasol and Jordan Hill among the players with significant salary.
Gasol is rumoured to be considering offers from the Chicago Bulls, Oklahoma City Thunder and San Antonio Spurs while the Lakers are still trying to convince Carmelo Anthony to join Kobe Bryant.
With an aging Steve Nash, who appears ready for retirement, Lin will immediately become the Laker’s starting point guard.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates