Jeremy Lin Traded to the Los Angeles Lakers
By James Patrick Quizon | July 12, 2014 5:18 AM EST
Thanks to LeBron James finally making and announcing his decision, the free agency dominos are starting to fall. The first major move is Jeremy Lin being traded by the Houston Rockets to the Los Angeles Lakers.
Marc Stein of ESPN first broke the story via Twitter:
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 11, 2014
Lakers would make sense as destination with cap space to take on Jeremy Lin's expiring contract & without cutting into any of 2015 cap space — Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 11, 2014
According to RealGM.com Lakers will receive the Rockets’ future first round pick and other draft considerations.
Lin’s salary dump was expected early in free agency after reports that the Rockets are targeting big man Chris Bosh and signing him to a max contract. The Rockets already had a deal in place to dump the salary of Omer Asik and now Lin is following the same route.
Even with Lin under contract, the Lakers can still have a big cap space left if they renounce the rights to free agents Pau Gasol and Jordan Hill among the players with significant salary.
Gasol is rumoured to be considering offers from the Chicago Bulls, Oklahoma City Thunder and San Antonio Spurs while the Lakers are still trying to convince Carmelo Anthony to join Kobe Bryant.
With an aging Steve Nash, who appears ready for retirement, Lin will immediately become the Laker’s starting point guard.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report