Rafael Nadal More Worthy as World’s No.1 Than Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer - Jimmy Connors
By Lou Imperial | July 12, 2014 12:02 AM EST
Novak Djokovic clinched back the top spot in the world ranking following his five-set victory over Roger Federer at the Wimbledon Open. However, not everyone is happy seeing the Serb on top of the ATP ladder-board. Jimmy Connors apparently is one of them.
Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return during his men's singles tennis match against Nick Kyrgios of Australia at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Connors, who once held the world's no.1 ranking and racked up as many as eight Grand Slam titles, believed Rafael Nadal deserves to retain the top ranking because he's the only player in the ATP circuit who has incomparable passion on tennis.
"In this game we need someone like Rafael Nadal to be World No.1. He puts such passion in his game in a way that never fails to excite me," Connors said in an interview via Tennis Tonic.
The 61-year old Connors didn't argue that Djokovic and Federer are talented players, but stress Nadal brings more to the table. The American tennis legend called Nadal's epic return from a knee injury in 2013 as one of the best moments in the sports.
"Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic sure have the talent, but Rafa has it as well, but he brings a whole lot more of emotions together with that. An example? When he came back from his injury in 2013, to end up collecting all those incredible wins," Connors added.
Best Tennis Player on ATP Tour
Connors believed Nadal possesses the best service return in all ATP Tour, adding the Spaniards always has the numbers to back it up. Moreover, Connors said Nadal is virtually undefeated whenever he plays aggressive close to the baseline - the same style he used during his playing days.
The American tennis legend also talked about Nadal's performance against Nick Kyrgios. He thought the Australian teen did incredibly well against the 14-time Grand Slam champion, but Nadal could have won the match if he just played aggressive and responded with service returns.
Nadal, who is looking to defend the US Open crown starting next month, is scheduled to begin his intense hardcourt training in Mallorca, Spain next week. Rafa will then begin his hardcourt season at the Rogers Cup and the Cincinnati Masters, where Djokovic, Murray and Federer are expected to spice up the competition. He will then head to Queens, New York in the last week of August for the US Open championship.
For more Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown