Man Dies of Heart Attack After Ice Challenge, Drinking
By Smitha Nambiar | July 11, 2014 10:07 PM EST
Forty-year-old Willis Tepania, a father from Kaitaia, reportedly died of a cardiac arrest, five hours after participating in the ice challenge, which also included consuming nearly a liter of bourbon.
A man bathes in the waters of a tube well in the morning at Salamatpur village in the northern Indian state of Punjab
Tepania, who took the ice challenge, and followed it up by gulping down almost one liter of Jim Beam bourbon on Saturday night, died of a heart attack, after five hours. The ice challenge, which has become a viral phenomenon in New Zealand and around the world, involves ice water being poured on the participant. This is usually accompanied by alcohol. They then nominate others to take the challenge and make a donation to charity. Tepania reportedly went asleep soon after the challenge. It was only several hours later that it came to the realisation of his family that he had suffered from a cardiac arrest.
Tepania was rushed to the Kaitaia Hospital by ambulance and fire crew, a little after 3 am on Sunday. "He was flown to Whangarei Hospital some time later," said a St John spokesman. The footage of Tespania participating in the ice challenge has now been destroyed.
Dr Leo Schep, toxicologist at the National Poisons Centre, pointed out that over consumption of alcohol is extremely dangerous. "You get the euphoric effects, that you go for, but then you get confusion, coma and, if there's huge amounts, death," said Schep. He further added, "You should moderate your alcohol consumption. Nobody is bullet proof; even the hardest drinkers will come unstuck at some level."
Vicki Moses, who first began the ice challenge to raise fund for her 5-year-old son Austin, who was diagnosed with leukemia, was able to raise $9,000 for her son. However, she said that the challenge was intended for a good purpose and drinking was not part of it. "There needs to be some awareness there and not be silly. It's just a freak accident, but it happened. He made a bad decision. My heart goes out to his family," said Moses.
The Cancer Society, which benefits a lot from the ice challenge, also warned people of over drinking. It posted in one of its Web sites, "Cancer Society cares about your health and well being and so does not support the consumption of alcohol as part of this challenge."
Meanwhile, Tepania's aunt said that he "had been in poor health for a number of years and had a bit of a drinking problem".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Kylie Jenner Wants To Quit Modelling To Be A Singer As She Thinks She Is The 'New Katy Perry'; Reasons Why People Switch Careers
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone