Chelsea FC Transfer News: Atletico Boss Thankful for Striker's Contributions, as Latter Moves to Stamford Bridge
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 11, 2014 7:38 PM EST
Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has nothing but good words for his former striker Diego Costa, as the latter prepares to ply his trade at Stamford Bridge.
The 25-year-old Brazil-born Spanish international helped the Rojiblancos win the La Liga title last season, as well as a second-place finish in the Champions League.
“I'm always going to be thankful to the players that give all their best. He had excellent performances while he was with us.” - Diego Simeone on Diego Costa
His 27-goal tally in the La Liga is only behind the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.
"I wish him the very best at Chelsea," said Simeone.
"He can still keep growing. He's at an age where he can continue to improve so let's hope he can develop further. I'm sure he'll be a success."
"I'm always going to be thankful to the players that give all their best. He had excellent performances while he was with us."
While the reported £33.44million fee has yet to be confirmed, Chelsea posted on their official website that the parties involved in the much talked-about deal have already come to terms.
"Chelsea Football Club can confirm an agreement has been reached with Atletico Madrid for the transfer of Diego Costa, with Chelsea meeting the buy-out clause for the Spanish international," the statement read.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- Roger Federer Hailed Swiss Sportsman Of The Year, Beating Stan Wawrinka
- Hoax Alert: Floyd Mayweather Didn’t Die Of Drug Overdose
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’