Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 11, 2014
By Juliana Roadley, CommSec Market Analyst | July 11, 2014 7:34 PM EST
End of Day Report (4.50pm)
After an erratic night of trading in Europe and the US the Aussie market started weaker but within the first 2 hours of trade managed to rally out of the red.
Overnight concerns over the stability of the Portuguese banking system rocked international markets, European markets lost ground and the Dow Jones Index started down 150pts. As news from the Portuguese central bank and other sources stated to filter through in support of the major bank at the centre of the scare Banco Espirito Santo Us markets cut early losses. In the Asian banking session today more positive news was released in support of Banco Espirito Santo which helped lift our markets and our banking sector closed stronger after Reuters reported that Banco Espirito Santo believes any potential losses from companies of the bank´s founding family would not put at risk its ability to meet minimum required capital ratios.
The All ordinaries Index added 20points to 5474.6 points with most sectors closing higher.
The banking sector moved higher throughout the day helped by the large name insurers. Insurance Australia Group Ltd (IAG) added 2.2% and QBE Insurance Group (QBE) up 1.8%, while our big four banks closed slightly higher.
Property trusts started off well and then fell away as money moved out of defensive stocks as the market regained confidence. Mirvac Group (MGR) ended lower off 0.84% and GPT Group (GPT) off 1%.
In company news.
The newly formed Scentre Group (SCG) which was created following the
Westfield restructure closed higher after a successfully European debt raising of $3Billion this week and finished the day up 0.6%
Fortescue Metals (FMG) today pre-released its production data ahead of its quarterly report on Wed July 16th. The numbers are weaker than expected. FMG has shipped 124.2Mt for FY14, which is below guidance of 127Mt this was partly to do with bad weather. FMG shares closed down 0.23%. BHP Billiton Limited (BHP) closed slightly however Rio Tinto Limited (RIO) fell nearly 0.5%.
Santos (STO) today announced that oil production has commenced from the Dua oil project, in offshore Vietnam STO said its gross production rate from the Dua wells is estimated to average 8,000 barrels per day in first 12 months.
In economic news
The number of new owner-occupier housing loans was largely unchanged in May. However the number of loans to build homes by owner occupiers rose by 0.9% in May. In trend terms construction loans rose by 0.5% to 6,229 in May (a 52-month high). The share of first-time buyers in the market lifted from record lows of 12.3% of all loans to 12.6% in May. The value of new housing finance commitments (owner occupier and investment) fell by 0.8% in May with owner-occupier loans down 0.7% while investment loans fell by 0.9%.
The Australian dollar traded in a very tight range over the last week and today closed our session at AUD/USD 0.9387
Tonight in the US the Federal Budget Statement will be realised for the month of June, market consensus for this result is for a Surplus of US$96billion.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- MH17: ‘Trademark Trolls’ Make Profit Out of the Tragedy
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports