Orange is the New Black Scores Over The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family at Emmy 2014
By Anshu Shrivastava | July 11, 2014 6:55 PM EST
The Emmy 2014 nomination list is out. "Orange is the New Black," which debuted last year and failed to make it to the nomination list in 2013, has scored big at 66th Primetime Emmy Awards. This Netflix's original drama comedy has received 12 Emmy nominations, beating the nomination count of popular comedy shows such as CBS's "The Big Bang Theory" and ABC's "Modern Family."
From left to right, actresses Uzo Aduba, Danielle Brooks, Laura Prepon, Laverne Cox and Natasha Lyonne pose with the Best Comedy Series award for "Orange Is the New Black" at the 4th annual Critics' Choice Television Awards in Beverly Hills, California June 19, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"Orange is the New Black" has won a nomination for the Outstanding Comedy Series. The nomination list for this category also includes "The Big Bang Theory," "Modern Family," HBO's "Veep," FX's "Louie" and HBO's "Silicon Valley." For "Modern Family," this latest nomination is the fifth in a row and it has won every year it has been nominated.
Taylor Schilling, who plays Piper Chapman in the show, has bagged a nomination for the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Role. To win the Emmy trophy, she has to beat Lena Dunham of "Girls," Edie Falco of "Nurse Jackie," Julia Louis-Dreyfus of "Veep," Melissa McCarthy of "Mike & Molly" and Amy Poehler of "Parks and Recreation."
In the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series category, Kate Mulgrew, who plays Red in "Orange is the New Black," is pitted against Julie Bowen of "Modern Family," Allison Janney of "Mom," Kate Mckinnon of "Saturday Night Live," Mayim Bialik of "The Big Bang Theory" an Anna Chlumsky of "Veep."
The comedy-drama series has scored three nominations in the Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series category. Uzo Aduba, Laverne Cox, and Natasha Lyonne have won the nominations. Tina Fey of "Saturday Night Live," Melissa McCarthy of "Saturday Night Live," and Joan Cusack of "Shameless" have also been nominated for this category.
In addition, creator Jenji Kohan has won the nomination for the Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series. She and her co-writer Liz Friedman have bagged the nomination for the episode "I Wasn't Ready." Also, director Jodie Foster has been nominated for the episode "Lesbian Request Denied" in the Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series category.
"Orange is the New Black" has also won nomination for the Outstanding Art Direction and for three episodes in Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports