Orange is the New Black Scores Over The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family at Emmy 2014
By Anshu Shrivastava | July 11, 2014 6:55 PM EST
The Emmy 2014 nomination list is out. "Orange is the New Black," which debuted last year and failed to make it to the nomination list in 2013, has scored big at 66th Primetime Emmy Awards. This Netflix's original drama comedy has received 12 Emmy nominations, beating the nomination count of popular comedy shows such as CBS's "The Big Bang Theory" and ABC's "Modern Family."
From left to right, actresses Uzo Aduba, Danielle Brooks, Laura Prepon, Laverne Cox and Natasha Lyonne pose with the Best Comedy Series award for "Orange Is the New Black" at the 4th annual Critics' Choice Television Awards in Beverly Hills, California June 19, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"Orange is the New Black" has won a nomination for the Outstanding Comedy Series. The nomination list for this category also includes "The Big Bang Theory," "Modern Family," HBO's "Veep," FX's "Louie" and HBO's "Silicon Valley." For "Modern Family," this latest nomination is the fifth in a row and it has won every year it has been nominated.
Taylor Schilling, who plays Piper Chapman in the show, has bagged a nomination for the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Role. To win the Emmy trophy, she has to beat Lena Dunham of "Girls," Edie Falco of "Nurse Jackie," Julia Louis-Dreyfus of "Veep," Melissa McCarthy of "Mike & Molly" and Amy Poehler of "Parks and Recreation."
In the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series category, Kate Mulgrew, who plays Red in "Orange is the New Black," is pitted against Julie Bowen of "Modern Family," Allison Janney of "Mom," Kate Mckinnon of "Saturday Night Live," Mayim Bialik of "The Big Bang Theory" an Anna Chlumsky of "Veep."
The comedy-drama series has scored three nominations in the Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series category. Uzo Aduba, Laverne Cox, and Natasha Lyonne have won the nominations. Tina Fey of "Saturday Night Live," Melissa McCarthy of "Saturday Night Live," and Joan Cusack of "Shameless" have also been nominated for this category.
In addition, creator Jenji Kohan has won the nomination for the Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series. She and her co-writer Liz Friedman have bagged the nomination for the episode "I Wasn't Ready." Also, director Jodie Foster has been nominated for the episode "Lesbian Request Denied" in the Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series category.
"Orange is the New Black" has also won nomination for the Outstanding Art Direction and for three episodes in Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown