Arsenal FC Transfer News: Boss 'Excited' as Barcelona Striker Joins Gunners
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 11, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger can't wait for Alexis Sanchez to provide his inputs on the pitch, following a blockbuster deal that was consummated on Thursday for a reported fee of £33.26million.
“He has consistently produced top-quality performances at the highest level for a number of seasons now and we are all excited to see him integrate into the Arsenal squad. I’m sure all Arsenal supporters will join me in welcoming Alexis to our club.” - Arsene Wenger on Alexis Sanchez
The French mentor's overreliance on Olivier Giroud last season, being the Gunners' lone hitman upfront took a toll on the latter as fatigue had slowly set in, which left him performing inconsistently, most notably in the Champions League wherein he was able to find the back of the net only twice.
"As many people have seen during the World Cup this summer, Alexis is a fantastic footballer and we are delighted that he is joining us at Arsenal Football Club," Wenger told Arsenal.com.
"Alexis will add power, creativity and much quality to our squad and we are all looking forward to him joining up with us in a few weeks."
"He has consistently produced top-quality performances at the highest level for a number of seasons now and we are all excited to see him integrate into the Arsenal squad. I'm sure all Arsenal supporters will join me in welcoming Alexis to our club."
Meanwhile, the 25-year-old Chilean is coming off a career performance at Catalunya, tallying 21 goals and 17 assists in 54 appearances, as well as in the World Cup in Brazil, showing worldwide audience that he is a legitimate threat in front of goal.
"I'm so happy to be joining Arsenal, a club which has a great manager, a fantastic squad of players, huge support around the world and a great stadium in London.," said Sanchez.
"I'm looking forward to meeting my new team-mates and to be playing for Arsenal in the Premier League and Champions League. I will give my best to Arsenal and want to make all the supporters happy."
The aforementioned transfer backs Wenger's claim of the Club's objective to win a major silverware next season, signalling opposing teams of their seriousness to achieve such goal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet