Arsenal FC Transfer News: Boss 'Excited' as Barcelona Striker Joins Gunners
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 11, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger can't wait for Alexis Sanchez to provide his inputs on the pitch, following a blockbuster deal that was consummated on Thursday for a reported fee of £33.26million.
“He has consistently produced top-quality performances at the highest level for a number of seasons now and we are all excited to see him integrate into the Arsenal squad. I’m sure all Arsenal supporters will join me in welcoming Alexis to our club.” - Arsene Wenger on Alexis Sanchez
The French mentor's overreliance on Olivier Giroud last season, being the Gunners' lone hitman upfront took a toll on the latter as fatigue had slowly set in, which left him performing inconsistently, most notably in the Champions League wherein he was able to find the back of the net only twice.
"As many people have seen during the World Cup this summer, Alexis is a fantastic footballer and we are delighted that he is joining us at Arsenal Football Club," Wenger told Arsenal.com.
"Alexis will add power, creativity and much quality to our squad and we are all looking forward to him joining up with us in a few weeks."
"He has consistently produced top-quality performances at the highest level for a number of seasons now and we are all excited to see him integrate into the Arsenal squad. I'm sure all Arsenal supporters will join me in welcoming Alexis to our club."
Meanwhile, the 25-year-old Chilean is coming off a career performance at Catalunya, tallying 21 goals and 17 assists in 54 appearances, as well as in the World Cup in Brazil, showing worldwide audience that he is a legitimate threat in front of goal.
"I'm so happy to be joining Arsenal, a club which has a great manager, a fantastic squad of players, huge support around the world and a great stadium in London.," said Sanchez.
"I'm looking forward to meeting my new team-mates and to be playing for Arsenal in the Premier League and Champions League. I will give my best to Arsenal and want to make all the supporters happy."
The aforementioned transfer backs Wenger's claim of the Club's objective to win a major silverware next season, signalling opposing teams of their seriousness to achieve such goal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues