Arsenal FC Transfer News: Boss 'Excited' as Barcelona Striker Joins Gunners
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 11, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger can't wait for Alexis Sanchez to provide his inputs on the pitch, following a blockbuster deal that was consummated on Thursday for a reported fee of £33.26million.
“He has consistently produced top-quality performances at the highest level for a number of seasons now and we are all excited to see him integrate into the Arsenal squad. I’m sure all Arsenal supporters will join me in welcoming Alexis to our club.” - Arsene Wenger on Alexis Sanchez
The French mentor's overreliance on Olivier Giroud last season, being the Gunners' lone hitman upfront took a toll on the latter as fatigue had slowly set in, which left him performing inconsistently, most notably in the Champions League wherein he was able to find the back of the net only twice.
"As many people have seen during the World Cup this summer, Alexis is a fantastic footballer and we are delighted that he is joining us at Arsenal Football Club," Wenger told Arsenal.com.
"Alexis will add power, creativity and much quality to our squad and we are all looking forward to him joining up with us in a few weeks."
"He has consistently produced top-quality performances at the highest level for a number of seasons now and we are all excited to see him integrate into the Arsenal squad. I'm sure all Arsenal supporters will join me in welcoming Alexis to our club."
Meanwhile, the 25-year-old Chilean is coming off a career performance at Catalunya, tallying 21 goals and 17 assists in 54 appearances, as well as in the World Cup in Brazil, showing worldwide audience that he is a legitimate threat in front of goal.
"I'm so happy to be joining Arsenal, a club which has a great manager, a fantastic squad of players, huge support around the world and a great stadium in London.," said Sanchez.
"I'm looking forward to meeting my new team-mates and to be playing for Arsenal in the Premier League and Champions League. I will give my best to Arsenal and want to make all the supporters happy."
The aforementioned transfer backs Wenger's claim of the Club's objective to win a major silverware next season, signalling opposing teams of their seriousness to achieve such goal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes