Emmy Nominations 2014: See the Nominees in Major Categories [Photos]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | July 11, 2014 5:56 PM EST
The nominations for the 66th Primetime Emmys were revealed early Thursday morning, July 10 (Thursday evening in Australia) at the Television Academy's Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre, North Hollywood. Actress Mindy Kaling and "The Voice" host Carson Daly announced the nominees.
Actress Mindy Kaling (L) and television host Carson Daly announce the nominees for Lead Actor in a Comedy Series during the nominations announcement for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards in North Hollywood, California July 10, 2014.
Among the major categories announced were drama series, comedy series, miniseries as well as lead actor and actress, guest actor and actress, and supporting actor and actress for each category. The categories also include variety series, variety special, television movie, special class program, interactive program, children's program, structured reality program, unstructured reality program and documentary or non-fiction series.
For the Outstanding Drama Series, "Breaking Bad," "Downtown Abbey," "Game of Thrones," "House of Cards," "Mad Men" and "True Detective" made it to the nominations listed at the Emmys Web site. Actors Bryan Cranston of "Breaking Bad," Jeff Daniels of "The Newsroom," Jon Hamm of "Mad Men," Woody Harrelson of "True Detective," Matthew McConaughey also of "True Detective" and Kevin Spacey of "House of Cards" were nominated for the category Best Actor in a Drama Series. Its counterpart, Best Actress in a Drama Series, Michelle Dockery of "Downton Abbey," Julianna Margulies of "The Good Wife," Claire Danes of "Homeland," Robin Wright of "House of Cards," Lizzy Caplan of "Masters of Sex" and Kerry Washington of "Scandal" made it to the list.
Meanwhile, "The Big Bang Theory," "Louie," "Modern Family," "Orange Is the New Black," "Silicon Valley" and "Veep" secured the list for the category Outstanding Comedy Series. Rounding up the list of Best Actor in a Comedy Series are Jim Parsons of "The Big Bang Theory," Ricky Gervais of "Derek," Matt LeBlanc of "Episodes," Don Cheadle of "House of Lies," Louis C.K. of "Louie" and William H. Macy of "Shameless." For its counterpart category, Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Lena Dunham of "Girls," Melissa McCarthy of "Mike & Molly," Edie Falco of "Nurse Jackie," Taylor Schilling of "Orange is the New Black," Amy Poehler of "Parks and Recreation" and Julia Louis-Dreyfus of "Veep" made it to the nominations.
For the category on Outstanding Miniseries, "American Horror Story: Coven," "Bonnie & Clyde," "Fargo," "Luther," "Treme" and "The White Queen" made it to the nominations. Chiwetel Ejiofor of "Dancing on the Edge," Martin Freeman of "Fargo," Billy Bob Thornton also of "Fargo," Idris Elba of "Luther," Mark Ruffalo of "The Normal Heart" and Benedict Cumberbatch of "Sherlock: His Last Vow" were nominated for Best Actor in a Miniseries or Movie. Both Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson of "American Horror Story: Coven," Helena Bonham Carter of "Burton and Taylor," Minnie Driver of "Return to Zero," Kristen Wiig of "The Spoils of Babylon" and Cicely Tyson of "The Trip to Bountiful" were nominated for the Best Actress in a Miniseries or Movie category.
"The Amazing Race," "Dancing with the Stars," "Project Runway," "So You Think You Can Dance," "Top Chef" and "The Voice" got to the list for the category on Reality Competition Program. While "The Colbert Report," "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart," "Jimmy Kimmel Live," "Real Time with Bill Maher," Saturday Night Live" and "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" made it to the Variety Series category. "Killing Kennedy," "Muhammad Ali's Greatest Fight," "The Normal Heart," "Sherlock: His Las Vow (Masterpiece)" and "The Trip to Bountiful" were nominated for the category on Television Movie.
For the supporting roles, Aaron Paul of "Breaking Bad," Jim Carter of "Downton Abbey," Peter Dinklage of "Game of Thrones," Josh Charles of "The Good Wife," Mandy Patinkin of "Homeland" and Jon Voight of "Ray Donovan" got to the list of nominees for Supporting Actor in Drama. While Anna Gunn of "Breaking Bad," Maggie Smith of "Downton Abbey," Joanne Froggatt also of "Downton Abbey," Lena Headey of "Game of Thrones," Christine Baranski of "The Good Wife" and Christina Hendricks of "Mad Men" were nominated for the Supporting Actress in Drama category.
Andre Braugher of "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," Adam Driver of "Girls," Jesse Tyler Ferguson of "Modern Family," Ty Burrell also of "Modern Family," Fred Armisen of "Portlandia" and Tony Hale of "Veep" got to the nominations for Supporting Actor in Comedy. On the other hand, Mayim Bialik of "The Big Bang Theory," Julie Bowen of "Modern Family," Allison Janney of "Mom," Kate Mulgrew of "Orange Is the New Black," Kate McKinnon of "Saturday Night Live" and Anna Chlumsky of "Veep" were nominated for the category of Supporting Actress in a Comedy.
For the category of Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie, "The Normal Heart" stars Jim Parsons, Joe Mantello, Alfred Molina, and Matt Bomer as well as Colin Hanks of "Fargo" and Martin Freeman of "Sherlock: His Last Vow (Masterpiece)" were nominated. The stars in "American Horror Story: Coven" Frances Conroy, Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates as well as Allison Tolman of "Fargo," Ellen Burstyn of "Flowers in the Attic" and Julia Roberts of "The Normal Heart" rounded up the list of Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie.
To see the complete list of nominees, please click here.
Watch the slideshow for the nominees in major categories of the Emmy Nominations 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6