Sony Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX, Xperia V Android 4.4.4 KitKat: Top 3 Things You Should Know About
By Ryan Inoyori | July 11, 2014 5:34 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP, T/TX and V seem to be having a very slim chance on getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Some Xperia Z devices are now receiving Android 4.4.4 KitKat while other models are getting certified with Android KitKat. Will Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V still get another major update?
Software Support Duration
Xperia SP, T/TX and V are facing the expiration dates of software support from Sony Mobile. Xperia SP was released on April 2013 with expiration date until October 2014 and so far, the smartphone has only received one major update after Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Unfortunately, Xperia T, TX and V have reached the 18-month software support expiration and if there is one lucky model - it would be Xperia V based on the expected end of life cycle.
Sony Xperia Model
Expected End of Life Cycle
Unlike Xperia SP, other three smartphones already received two major firmware upgrades from Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich according to the official software support page from Sony Mobile. Xperia T/TX and Xperia V received Android 4.1 and Android 4.3 Jelly Bean within 18 months.
Never Announced for KitKat Upgrade Plan
Sony Mobile did not include Xperia SP, Xperia T/TX and Xperia V on the latest list of Android KitKat eligible devices. Android 4.4.2 KitKat was initially released to Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact then followed through other Xperia Z devices.
Lately, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact received the final version of Android KitKat - 4.4.4 - rolling out in several territories worldwide. Now Xperia T2 Ultra and Xperia T2 Ultra Dual got the certification of Android KitKat firmware from PTCRB.
Here is the current list of devices on Android KitKat roadmap from Sony Mobile:
- Xperia Z1
- Xperia Z Ultra
- Xperia Z1 Compact
- Xperia Z
- Xperia ZL and ZR
- Xperia Tablet Z
- Xperia T2 Ultra
- Xperia E1
- Xperia M2
No Decisions Yet
Even though Sony Mobile already released Android KitKat for Xperia Z series and now pushing the latest Android 4.4.4 to selected models, the company remains quite on what will happen on Xperia SP.
Up to this date, Sony Xperia SP remains "under investigation" on receiving Android KitKat update along with Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown