Sony Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX, Xperia V Android 4.4.4 KitKat: Top 3 Things You Should Know About
By Ryan Inoyori | July 11, 2014 5:34 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP, T/TX and V seem to be having a very slim chance on getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Some Xperia Z devices are now receiving Android 4.4.4 KitKat while other models are getting certified with Android KitKat. Will Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V still get another major update?
Software Support Duration
Xperia SP, T/TX and V are facing the expiration dates of software support from Sony Mobile. Xperia SP was released on April 2013 with expiration date until October 2014 and so far, the smartphone has only received one major update after Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Unfortunately, Xperia T, TX and V have reached the 18-month software support expiration and if there is one lucky model - it would be Xperia V based on the expected end of life cycle.
Sony Xperia Model
Expected End of Life Cycle
Unlike Xperia SP, other three smartphones already received two major firmware upgrades from Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich according to the official software support page from Sony Mobile. Xperia T/TX and Xperia V received Android 4.1 and Android 4.3 Jelly Bean within 18 months.
Never Announced for KitKat Upgrade Plan
Sony Mobile did not include Xperia SP, Xperia T/TX and Xperia V on the latest list of Android KitKat eligible devices. Android 4.4.2 KitKat was initially released to Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact then followed through other Xperia Z devices.
Lately, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact received the final version of Android KitKat - 4.4.4 - rolling out in several territories worldwide. Now Xperia T2 Ultra and Xperia T2 Ultra Dual got the certification of Android KitKat firmware from PTCRB.
Here is the current list of devices on Android KitKat roadmap from Sony Mobile:
- Xperia Z1
- Xperia Z Ultra
- Xperia Z1 Compact
- Xperia Z
- Xperia ZL and ZR
- Xperia Tablet Z
- Xperia T2 Ultra
- Xperia E1
- Xperia M2
No Decisions Yet
Even though Sony Mobile already released Android KitKat for Xperia Z series and now pushing the latest Android 4.4.4 to selected models, the company remains quite on what will happen on Xperia SP.
Up to this date, Sony Xperia SP remains "under investigation" on receiving Android KitKat update along with Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports