Sony Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX, Xperia V Android 4.4.4 KitKat: Top 3 Things You Should Know About
By Ryan Inoyori | July 11, 2014 5:34 PM EST
Sony Xperia SP, T/TX and V seem to be having a very slim chance on getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Some Xperia Z devices are now receiving Android 4.4.4 KitKat while other models are getting certified with Android KitKat. Will Xperia SP, Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V still get another major update?
Software Support Duration
Xperia SP, T/TX and V are facing the expiration dates of software support from Sony Mobile. Xperia SP was released on April 2013 with expiration date until October 2014 and so far, the smartphone has only received one major update after Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Unfortunately, Xperia T, TX and V have reached the 18-month software support expiration and if there is one lucky model - it would be Xperia V based on the expected end of life cycle.
Sony Xperia Model
Expected End of Life Cycle
Unlike Xperia SP, other three smartphones already received two major firmware upgrades from Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich according to the official software support page from Sony Mobile. Xperia T/TX and Xperia V received Android 4.1 and Android 4.3 Jelly Bean within 18 months.
Never Announced for KitKat Upgrade Plan
Sony Mobile did not include Xperia SP, Xperia T/TX and Xperia V on the latest list of Android KitKat eligible devices. Android 4.4.2 KitKat was initially released to Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact then followed through other Xperia Z devices.
Lately, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact received the final version of Android KitKat - 4.4.4 - rolling out in several territories worldwide. Now Xperia T2 Ultra and Xperia T2 Ultra Dual got the certification of Android KitKat firmware from PTCRB.
Here is the current list of devices on Android KitKat roadmap from Sony Mobile:
- Xperia Z1
- Xperia Z Ultra
- Xperia Z1 Compact
- Xperia Z
- Xperia ZL and ZR
- Xperia Tablet Z
- Xperia T2 Ultra
- Xperia E1
- Xperia M2
No Decisions Yet
Even though Sony Mobile already released Android KitKat for Xperia Z series and now pushing the latest Android 4.4.4 to selected models, the company remains quite on what will happen on Xperia SP.
Up to this date, Sony Xperia SP remains "under investigation" on receiving Android KitKat update along with Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'GTA V' For PC, PS4, Xbox One: More DLC Updates And Release Confirmed This Fall
- Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire May Not Be The Only Pokemon Game With This ‘Shocking’ Project
- 'Minecraft' 1.8 Update Gets 'Minecraft' 14w34b Snapshot, 'Minecraft PS Vita' Trailer And A Possible Oculus Rift Port
- PS4 News: An Update On Project Morpheus And 2 More Games Coming To It
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. Asus Zenfone 4 Price And Specifications Comparison [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015