'Unbroken' Trailer Released: Angelina Jolie's Directed Prisoner of War Movie Set for Christmas Release [SEE VIDEO]
By nidhi tewari | July 11, 2014 5:25 PM EST
The first official trailer of Angelina Jolie's directed movie "Unbroken" has been released. The movie is based on a true story of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner and an air force second lieutenant whose plane crashed during World War II in 1943. The incredible man, who lived very close to Angelina and Brad's Los Angeles home, reportedly passed away on July 5 at the age of 97.
Cast member Angelina Jolie poses at the premiere of "Maleficent" at El Capitan theatre in Hollywood, California May 28, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on May 30.
"We are all so grateful for how enriched our lives are for having known him," Jolie said in a statement after his death, according to The Wire. "We will miss him terribly."
Zamperini lived without food and water for nearly 47 days and was then captured by the Japanese. His misery did not end here as the brave heart was tortured in a prisoner-of-war camp until the end of the war in 1945.
The trailer shows Zamperini's character (played by British actor Jack O' Connell) at various stages of his difficult life starting from being an athlete who is passionately running on the ground, to an airman and also as a castaway floating on a boat in the vast sea before he is beaten-up and tortured by the Japanese as a Prisoner of War.
The clip opens with a voice that says, "however dark the night, however dim our hopes, the light will always follow darkness" in the backdrop of bombers in the battlefield. It is later revealed that the voice belongs to a priest who knew Zamperini as a child.
"A rebel who became a champion, a champion who became a survivor, a survivor who wouldn't be broken," the screen reveals these words as the trailer progresses.
Angelina Jolie made her directorial debut in 2011 with "The Land Of Blood And Honey," which was nominated for a Golden Globe. "Unbroken" will be her second film as a director. The movie is based on a book "Unbroken" written by Laura Hillenbrand.
"Unbroken" also stars Garrett Hedlund and another Australian actor Jai Courtney. The movie is scheduled to be released on Christmas Day in 2014 and Universal pictures dedicated the movie to the now deceased Louis Zamperini.
"We move forward to the release of Unbroken with a renewed sense of responsibility in bringing Louie's abundant life and indomitable spirit to the screen," the distributor said in a statement. Check out the latest trailer of "Unbroken" below:
Source: Youtube.com/JoBlo Movie Trailers
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’