'Unbroken' Trailer Released: Angelina Jolie's Directed Prisoner of War Movie Set for Christmas Release [SEE VIDEO]
By nidhi tewari | July 11, 2014 5:25 PM EST
The first official trailer of Angelina Jolie's directed movie "Unbroken" has been released. The movie is based on a true story of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner and an air force second lieutenant whose plane crashed during World War II in 1943. The incredible man, who lived very close to Angelina and Brad's Los Angeles home, reportedly passed away on July 5 at the age of 97.
Cast member Angelina Jolie poses at the premiere of "Maleficent" at El Capitan theatre in Hollywood, California May 28, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on May 30.
"We are all so grateful for how enriched our lives are for having known him," Jolie said in a statement after his death, according to The Wire. "We will miss him terribly."
Zamperini lived without food and water for nearly 47 days and was then captured by the Japanese. His misery did not end here as the brave heart was tortured in a prisoner-of-war camp until the end of the war in 1945.
The trailer shows Zamperini's character (played by British actor Jack O' Connell) at various stages of his difficult life starting from being an athlete who is passionately running on the ground, to an airman and also as a castaway floating on a boat in the vast sea before he is beaten-up and tortured by the Japanese as a Prisoner of War.
The clip opens with a voice that says, "however dark the night, however dim our hopes, the light will always follow darkness" in the backdrop of bombers in the battlefield. It is later revealed that the voice belongs to a priest who knew Zamperini as a child.
"A rebel who became a champion, a champion who became a survivor, a survivor who wouldn't be broken," the screen reveals these words as the trailer progresses.
Angelina Jolie made her directorial debut in 2011 with "The Land Of Blood And Honey," which was nominated for a Golden Globe. "Unbroken" will be her second film as a director. The movie is based on a book "Unbroken" written by Laura Hillenbrand.
"Unbroken" also stars Garrett Hedlund and another Australian actor Jai Courtney. The movie is scheduled to be released on Christmas Day in 2014 and Universal pictures dedicated the movie to the now deceased Louis Zamperini.
"We move forward to the release of Unbroken with a renewed sense of responsibility in bringing Louie's abundant life and indomitable spirit to the screen," the distributor said in a statement. Check out the latest trailer of "Unbroken" below:
Source: Youtube.com/JoBlo Movie Trailers
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up