Angelina Jolie Speaks Out About Rape in UN Global Summit [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 11, 2014 5:12 PM EST
Angelina Jolie has long been one of the high profile celebrities well-known for being a UN Goodwill Ambassador. She has spoken out about various issues and has famously adopted several children from places she has visited while working with the United Nations. This time around, Angelina is speaking out about the plight of women living in conflict-ridden countries who are abused and oftentimes are unable to be heard and their cases frequently going undocumented.
Actress Angelina Jolie arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
Last month, Angelina went to London for the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict where she served as co-chairperson alongside British Foreign Secretary William Hague. Jolie serves as a Special Envoy of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and has come to London to speak about rape and other atrocities committed against women in countries ravaged by war and conflict.
In her speech, Jolie calls rape a weapon of war aimed at civilians and that it should not be considered an inevitable part of war. She further explains that the victims of rape are often young children who are unable to report their cases for fear of public ridicule. She claims that the subject has been a taboo for far too long and calls for the global community to take responsibility and help bring justice to the victims of sexual violence in places of conflict.Her speech was peppered with applause and cheers and ends with obvious approval from the audience. (video below)
Several other personalities with similar causes were at the summit including Judith Bedoya, a media practitioner who was raped, kidnapped and tortured in Colombia while on assignment. Whaku Shee, A Burmese woman fighting against the rape of women under the hands of the Brumese military was also present along with Zainab Bangura of Sierra Leone who has started a campaign to classify rape as a war crime. Other leaders representing other places and fighting for similar causes were there to share their plight.
Journalist Marianne Pearl wrote about her admiration for Jolie in a feature she wrote for Glamour Magazine about the Global Summit and Jolie's participation there.
"It's this understanding and commitment that makes me admire Angelina so much. She and these brave women are role models for a better world. Each is an agent of change, doing her piece to end an unbearable situation. Because, after all, this is a crime against humanity that only humanity can fix," said Pearl.
Jolie and Pearl share a common cause against violence and the atrocities of war and the actress portrayed the role of the journalist in the 2007 film "A Mighty Heart" based on the book written by Marianne Pearl entitled "A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl" which gives an account of the fate of the author's husband who was kidnapped in Pakistan and was later murdered while on the field doing his job also as a journalist.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'